• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk Keto

Down to 250lbs this morning.

That's 75lbs lost in a little over 6 months with no significant change in calorie intake, and no significant change in exercise, but by cutting carbs completely and eating a metric **** load of healthy fats.

It's no gimmick. It works, it's completely sustainable, and I never plan on going back to a carb heavy diet. Not even for a single meal, ever.

Good for you!

Couple of "non-cheat" cheat tips after 3.5 years of doing this:

1) Beer: Miller Lite and Michelob Ultra both have 3g or less carbs per 12oz. They are the only beers the wife and I drink anymore. If you pound beers by the six pack, that's never gonna be keto friendly, so learn to reduce. A couple won't hurt you.

2) Pizza: Buy some Joseph's brand flax-seed flat bread. Walmart has it sometimes. Ingles always has it. Not sure which other grocers carry it. It's relatively low carb and good for wraps, burger bun substitute, etc. For pizza, we put the flat bread on a baking sheets, spread some pizza sauce on it, and then add meat, vegetables and mozzarella to taste. We typically use pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, zucchini, squash and tomatoes. Mix and match to taste. Makes a great pizza substitute. Bake until the flat bread edges start to turn golden brown.

3) Meat balls without pasta: Walmart's frozen Great Value family style or Italian style meat balls are pretty good. Bake or microwave them. Top with shredded cheese of your choice. We sometimes also top them with salsa (most salsas are low carb). If using red sauce, watch the carbs on the label. A lot of them have significant sugar in them. Best bet is Rao's brand, which is 6g carbs per serving (typical red sauce is twice that). Carried at Walmart.

4) Ice cream: Rebel is okay. IMHO, Enlightened is better (texture is smoother). Walmart just started carrying it, Ingles always has it.

5) For you chocolate lovers: Lily's brand chocolate chips (dark, semi-sweet, milk chocolate) are made with stevia instead of sugar. Carbs are pretty low. Great for mixing with cashews, low-karb yogart, whipped cream, etc., for a dessert treat.

You definitely spend more on groceries on a Keto diet, because the calories are typically coming from meats/fats more than carbs. Carbs are cheaper. But when you factor in quality of life issues (like how sick being overweight makes you in various ways, long term), it's a bargain.

Also, to reiterate: Your joints will thank you. Aside from carrying less weight, when you get old, your joints hurt. Keto is to joint pain what aspirin is to a headache.

There is a cauliflower crust frozen pizza that I add spaghetti sauce, more cheese, and pepperoni to, don't knock it until you try it. It is a thin crust, and I actually like the taste better than a regular pizza crust. It is also gluten free, essential for me.

Oh I’m knocking it before I try it. Pizza crust requires white flour, it’s how God almighty intended it to be.

I know it man :lol: I used to eat pizza at least three times a week. It was tough giving up but honestly it's just like giving up smoking for me, it was hard as hell at first and smelling one made me weak at the knees, untill all the sudden you've gone long enough that you see at as the disgusting garbage it is and never want to touch it again.

I don’t think I’ll ever see pizza that way. As a matter of fact I found myself getting g angry just reading you describe it like that….reported.

Good for you!

Couple of "non-cheat" cheat tips after 3.5 years of doing this:

1) Beer: Miller Lite and Michelob Ultra both have 3g or less carbs per 12oz. They are the only beers the wife and I drink anymore. If you pound beers by the six pack, that's never gonna be keto friendly, so learn to reduce. A couple won't hurt you.

2) Pizza: Buy some Joseph's brand flax-seed flat bread. Walmart has it sometimes. Ingles always has it. Not sure which other grocers carry it. It's relatively low carb and good for wraps, burger bun substitute, etc. For pizza, we put the flat bread on a baking sheets, spread some pizza sauce on it, and then add meat, vegetables and mozzarella to taste. We typically use pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, zucchini, squash and tomatoes. Mix and match to taste. Makes a great pizza substitute. Bake until the flat bread edges start to turn golden brown.

3) Meat balls without pasta: Walmart's frozen Great Value family style or Italian style meat balls are pretty good. Bake or microwave them. Top with shredded cheese of your choice. We sometimes also top them with salsa (most salsas are low carb). If using red sauce, watch the carbs on the label. A lot of them have significant sugar in them. Best bet is Rao's brand, which is 6g carbs per serving (typical red sauce is twice that). Carried at Walmart.

4) Ice cream: Rebel is okay. IMHO, Enlightened is better (texture is smoother). Walmart just started carrying it, Ingles always has it.

5) For you chocolate lovers: Lily's brand chocolate chips (dark, semi-sweet, milk chocolate) are made with stevia instead of sugar. Carbs are pretty low. Great for mixing with cashews, low-karb yogart, whipped cream, etc., for a desert treat.

You definitely spend more on groceries on a Keto diet, because the calories are typically coming from meats/fats more than carbs. Carbs are cheaper. But when you factor in quality of life issues (like how sick being overweight makes you in various ways, long term), it's a bargain.

Also, to reiterate: Your joints will thank you. Aside from carrying less weight, when you get old, your joints hurt. Keto is to joint pain what aspirin is to a headache.

Good tips. And you ain't kidding about it being expensive, especially when I switched from dirty keto to clean keto.
I spend a lot of money making sure all my red meats are grass fed, and wild caught salmon instead of farm raised. I think I spend $100 a month on macadamia nuts alone but their so good and way healthier than almonds and peanuts.

Now I want pizza so bad right now it hurts...gotta stay away from this thread!

Oh, and congrats on the weight loss fellas! Down 22 since February. Had a 3 week long plateau end last week that I didn't think I'd ever get through.

Congratulations to FA and all you guys losing weight.
I am down 45 lbs since January...Atkins/Keto...really just cut out bread, potatoes and alcohol.
I’m punching new holes in my belts...can put my socks on again lol.
Heck ya! the next middle GA meet and greet ain't gonna look like they're filming the biggest loser again :lol:

Back
Top Bottom