• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s play the “What is it?” game!

Hmm... the rough machine marks visible on the hammer and trigger, and to a lesser extent on the frame itself,

says this is not an expensive, quality gun like a Colt New Line,
or a Smith & Wesson no. 1.

The front sight shape says it's not an H&R.

The shape of the hammer spur rules out about 95% of the rimfire spur-trigger revolvers made by Hopkins & Allen.

The fluted cylinder is pretty distinctive; most small spur trigger revolvers did have flutes on the cylinder.

This gun's birds head grips are squared off at the top near the trigger, otherwise I would say this is a Hood revolver because Hood did make small rimfire revolvers with unfluted cylinders and rounded front sights.... But HOOD grips were rounded on the top end.

Ditto for Forehand & Wadsworth:
they aways used rounded top grip panels for the birdshead spur trigger revolvers, and 95% of the time their hammers were different too, with the spur located substantially lower on the hammer body.

I'll go with Iver Johnson, one of their "Defender" models (part of an entire class of firearms that were later termed suicide specials'.)

The cylinder indexing slots are so disproportionately long to the short cylinder, I'll say this one was a 22 rimfire --probably not even for "long rifle" cartidges, but rather shorts or longs.

Hmm... the rough machine marks visible on the hammer and trigger, and to a lesser extent on the frame itself,

says this is not an expensive, quality gun like a Colt New Line,
or a Smith & Wesson no. 1.

The front sight shape says it's not an H&R.

The shape of the hammer spur rules out about 95% of the rimfire spur-trigger revolvers made by Hopkins & Allen.

The fluted cylinder is pretty distinctive; most small spur trigger revolvers did have flutes on the cylinder.

This gun's birds head grips are squared off at the top near the trigger, otherwise I would say this is a Hood revolver because Hood did make small rimfire revolvers with unfluted cylinders and rounded front sights.... But HOOD grips were rounded on the top end.

Ditto for Forehand & Wadsworth:
they aways used rounded top grip panels for the birdshead spur trigger revolvers, and 95% of the time their hammers were different too, with the spur located substantially lower on the hammer body.

I'll go with Iver Johnson, one of their "Defender" models (part of an entire class of firearms that were later termed suicide specials'.)

The cylinder indexing slots are so disproportionately long to the short cylinder, I'll say this one was a 22 rimfire --probably not even for "long rifle" cartidges, but rather shorts or longs.
You're up. It's the Iver Johnson defender 89. Lots of these style revolvers had a trade name stamped on them (Smoker, Big Bonanza, etc) and no manufacturer markings on them.

46B02426-1673-4EE1-A5D1-728AE56E971C.jpeg

I found a pretty rare (but all factory standard) model in this book,
but I can't find a picture of it online and I don't want to just take a phone picture of a page in a book.

So, the search shall continue!

21F910CB-FDBF-4BC4-92AD-87D73B1A41D4.jpeg
01A880A7-7E69-429B-B607-C40CEDF710A3.jpeg

What's this HUGE single action revolver,
chambered in a round with which you could hunt grizzly bear?

I saw one of these today, used, in a gun store. But rather than try to take pictures of it there, I looked it up later and found good photos online.

By the way it also came with darker colored frames, and some versions have a thicker topstrap, and some versions have an octagon barrel rather than round.

7B5C723E-CE3C-4286-846F-F16C1DEC4AA2.jpeg

Yes, it's the Century model 100.

It turns out that Magnum Research is not the only company that made Giganormas caliber single action revolvers, but their BFR model is the most famous.

80820D2C-7597-4DFA-87A3-2340A9063A94.jpeg
The Century 100 was featured on the cover of guns and ammo magazine back in the late 1970s. They were made for a long time, over 30 years, but with very small production numbers --just in the few thousands range.

BTW, the company that produced these apparently has no connection to Century Arms International, an importer and wholesale distributor of military surplus guns.

CM, Yugo.

P.S. They chambered this revolver in .30-30 Winchester?! What a puny cartridge compared to all the other ones that they used. Even the 375 Winchester generates about 500 -600 more foot-pounds of kinetic energy. (1700 vs. 2200 ft./lbs at the muzzle.)

Back
Top Bottom