• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s play the “What is it?” game!

Yes, that's right. The receiver on the Burgess is shorter, so it's lighter in weight, but key areas of the metal are thicker, so it's actually a stronger action (they say).

CMshoot talked about this gun, this Colt lever action rifle, in a post about the identityof a Winchester double-action revolver.
From June of 2020, post #453

"In 1883 Colt launched the Colt-Burgess rifle, a lever-action rifle, to rival Winchester’s dominance of the repeating rifle market. It is possible Winchester built the Model 1883 prototype to show Colt they were willing to compete in their market, too. In 1884 a gentleman’s non-competition agreement was made to maintain the status quo with each company staying out of the other’s respective sector of the firearms market. Colt removed the Burgess rifle from sale after just 16 months and Winchester shelved their revolver plans."

Still, over 6000 of the Colt-Burgess rifles were made and sold. So they're not as rare as hen's teeth, nor just a prototype built in single-digit numbers.

One of those Italian companies that makes modern replicas of the guns of the Old West has an 1883 Burgess rifle in their line-up, too.

unnamed~2.jpg

It's a Remington cane gun. The inventor was John Thomas who was a mechanic at Remington & Sons(old name before "Remington Arms Company). This was part of the popular trend of cane guns in the mid to late 1800s. From my understanding, the heads of the cane could be interchanged and were offered in calibers including .22 and .31 rimfire. The bottom of the cane which hit the ground was steel and had a cork plug thin enough to fire through in an emergency or just removed prior to firing. Honestly, until today, I never knew Remington had cane guns as part of their history. You learn something new every day.

It's a Remington cane gun. The inventor was John Thomas who was a mechanic at Remington & Sons(old name before "Remington Arms Company). This was part of the popular trend of cane guns in the mid to late 1800s. From my understanding, the heads of the cane could be interchanged and were offered in calibers including .22 and .31 rimfire. The bottom of the cane which hit the ground was steel and had a cork plug thin enough to fire through in an emergency or just removed prior to firing. Honestly, until today, I never knew Remington had cane guns as part of their history. You learn something new every day.

That’s it. Also, the cane gun was Remington’s first rimfire long gun.

Back
Top Bottom