• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s play the “What is it?” game!

That’s a loone copy of the Remington Derringer, imported in the US before 1968. They were made by companies like Rohm, Reck, and others. Schmidt, maybe? I seem to remember a Schmidt.

While we are waiting for EMC45 to post something new, I went back to look at what kind of guns use these Russian big bore straight-walled cartridges.
The version shown here, with the short bullets, are made for both that revolver, whose barrel actually lines up with the bottom of the cylinder like a Chiappa, and a bullpup battle carbine, which would normally wear a silencer. The Russisns call this type of ammo the "assault rifle" loading.

There is another version called the "sniper" version of the cartridge, which has a much longer bullet and therefore in immensely longer overall length.

Both of these 12.7 x 55 mm rounds are only half of the length of the Soviet 12.7 mm heavy machine gun and anti-material rifle round, which is very similar to our 50 BMG. The case length of that one is over 100 mm.

Attachments

• 9E9789F0-07F6-440F-A4C6-5DA99D03190F.jpeg
    9E9789F0-07F6-440F-A4C6-5DA99D03190F.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 4
Semmerling LM4 pocket pistol in .45 ACP. It's manually cycled and was one of the few pocket 45s of it's time.

I've shot magazine-fed pistols that had to have the slide manually cycled for each shot, but I've never heard of one that was designed to operate that way!!!
This IS an odd duck.

(Makes me wonder-- did anyone ever build a revolver which you had to manually turn the cylinder to index it for each shot?)

I've shot magazine-fed pistols that had to have the slide manually cycled for each shot, but I've never heard of one that was designed to operate that way!!!
This IS an odd duck.

(Makes me wonder-- did anyone ever build a revolver which you had to manually turn the cylinder to index it for each shot?)
I believe, but don't quote me there were pepperbox revolvers (not true revolvers) which may have needed manual indexing. There probably were revolvers requiring manual indexing when old revolver patents were around for Colt and Smith and Wesson.

Back
Top Bottom