• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legality of a trade

If someone on here had a gun I really wanted to buy I'd just go through an ffl. Their are several on here that are friends of the Site and would do it for very little fee.

Last edited:
A non resident can buy a long gun from an FFL here in GA, but not a handgun. On a private sale, a non resident can not buy or sell here unless it is handled by an FFL and a handgun has to go through an FFL in the buyers state of PRIMARY residence.. A person that claims part time residency is actually a resident of one state as primary and can only claim that state as residence. So the answer is NO you should not even consider selling or buying a gun private sale from someone that is not a resident. there are a lot of nimrods that try to over analyze the laws to find "Loopholes" that don't exist except in their mind.

Here is my question. I am a member of the armed forces, if I lawfully trade, buy or ,,otherwise acquire a firearm what legal ramifications are carried when I move to another state. Technically I am a resident of Alaska, I have residency rights for residing in GA are there any laws that cover my moving to NC, TX, NY, or WA.

If you own a house in Florida,during the time that you are stayingin that house,you are aresident of the Florida. If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year,he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase ahandgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

27 CFR 478.11 (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr478.11.pdf) Scrolll down to page 8, left hand column and see the definition of "State of residence."

The following are examples that illustrate this definition: Example 1. A maintains ahome in State X. A travels to State Y on a hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not become a resident of State Y by reason of such trip.

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Under the aforementioned law, the original poster is a resident during the times in which he is staying in his condo.

Although, I highly recommend using a local FFL dealer to transfer any firearms to ANYONE who has an out of state drivers license or verbalizes their "primary residence" is out of state...

..the legal terminology of residency is a peculiar thing.. (I'm fairly certain) that it's dependent of the number of consecutive days present in the "part-time state" (example: 2nd or vacation home) or whether you're "earning an income" in that (part-time state).

Furthermore, you can legally obtain a State Issued Photo ID in your "part-time state" (which cosmetically looks nearly identical to a drivers license) while keeping your "primary state" issued Drivers License.

I can get a state ID and keep my Florida dl? In that case I could get a ga carry permit with my state id?

Back
Top Bottom