• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kyle Korver...The key to accuracy is consistency.

protective measures

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
During classes I often compare shooting to golf, tennis, & basketball... all activities where grip, stance, & followthrough are all key to making a good "shot".

The article below is discussing Kyle Korver, an NBA player for Atlanta who is on his way to a phenomenal year shooting 3-point shots from the field.

I thought it was amazing how similar the two "sports" compare when it comes to the act of shooting.
Some of these techniques might help some of you the next time you are at the range.

"Through 53 games, Korver is shooting 51% from the field, 52% from three-point range, and 91% from the free throw line.

If he finishes the season with those numbers, he'll be the first full-time player to ever have a 50-50-90 shooting season.

Speaking at All-Star Weekend in New York, Korver was asked about how he prepares and practices his shot. He explained that being a great shooter is all about finding a repeatable shooting stroke, and then repeating it over and over and over again until it's routine:

"I think the secret to shooting is finding a shot you can make exactly the same every single time and then do it a whole lot. There's no secret potion to it all. You just gotta find something, however you are, like, whatever feels good to you, but shoot it so you can make it the exact same every single time. The exact same. Like, a little bit off can change a lot. So you focus on trying to make it the exact same, and over time hopefully you become a good shooter."

Korver's obsessiveness with perfecting his shot is pretty well chronicled.

He has a list of 20 checkpoints he works on for his shot. The list includes phrases that help him maintain his correct shooting form, things like, "up strong," "hold follow-through," and "slight bend at waist."

Back
Top Bottom