• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kitchen knife set that isn’t junk?

I'm a big fan of Henckels and self sharpening knikes.
Screenshot_20201206-100543_Amazon Shopping.jpg

J.A. Henckels make some good knives. They also make some not so great knives. I have the remnants of a set of Henckels Ever Edge knives made in Japan and they are pretty much crap. If you stick to their Solingen made knives you will have some well crafted cutlery. Maybe not quite as good as Wusthof but a close second.

Unless you’re the type of person that really appreciates high quality tools, you probably don’t need to spend much on “high-end” knives to get a good set. I would say good sharpening technique and care will make almost any set last a lifetime. Of course that assumes build quality is halfway decent (full tang, riveted, etc).

My first set of kitchen knives was a cheap KitchenAid set. It was a huge set and I paid $99 for it. It lasted me 10 years and easy to get an incredibly sharp edge. Granted, I did have to sharpen often as the steel was pretty cheap but that’s the trade off. The better the steel, the longer the edge will last in between sharpening, but will be harder to sharpen. I ended up gifting that set to my Mom and she still uses them to this day. They’re 15 years old now.

I use Wusthoff Classic knives now. Not too expensive and not too cheap. The edge lasts long enough before needing sharpening and they feel solid. That’s all I need.

Back
Top Bottom