• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just the basics....

5   0
Reaction score
Looking for some key points for my first time trout fishing this weekend.

I have the bare essentials:

1. basic rod and reel
2. tackle box with various artificial bates, line, hooks, weights, bobbers, etc.

Other than that, I got no clue! All of your insight is greatly appreciated!

Dont know all your particulars but I only use one lure for trout. A plain #0 or #1 Mepps spinner,gold or silver blade, with the red tube on the trebble hook. It works best with an ultralite spinning rig but as long as you have something that will cast it, it will work. Use the lightest line practical. A lot of people also use Rooster Tail spinners. If you are using bait just use a small hook and just enough weight to get it on the bottom. Use worms,corn,salmon eggs....Good luck!

Oh and also make sure to check out the regulations pertaining to the stream you are going to fish. Some only allow artificial lures,size limits, seasons,and so on. Walmart usually has the regulation book on the sporting goods counter.

Last edited:
You also want to watch your movements along the stream. Shadows will spook the fish. Try to keep a low profile. Some people like to work a particular spot for a long while but I have always had luck staying on the move. Make a half dozen casts then move on a little. Usually if there is a fish there he will hit on the first couple of casts.
I also like to work my way downstream with a spinner but this only works if you are not wading. Wading stirs up the bottom of the stream and creates silt which spooks the fish. With a spinner bait cast down and across the stream. Ease the spinner slowly into the current and retrive slowly. Let the current work the spinner.
If you find a spot that produces fish come back to it another day and there will probably be another fish there. I find eight or ten of these "sweet spots" and work them all season. They will be subject to change after heavy rainfall changes the stream bottom so what was a good spot one year may not be the next year or even later in the season.
Everyone fishes the easy spots. Go where others dont want to go. Push through some briars and climb down some banks. There you will find some fish.

Glad to be of some help. There are lots of other techniques that work. This has always put fish in the pan for me so I stick with it. If you ever want to come up this way I can put you on the local stream. Its a beautiful spring. Enjoy.

black or gold rooster tails. I really want to start fly fishing, but I've caught a lot of trout with rooster tails. Try not to stomp around, and keep out of sight as much as possible. It sounds strange, but they really do watch you.

Back
Top Bottom