• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Jeep Misfire problem

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
I posted this on a Wrangler forum, but thought there might be a local Jeep guy that might have an idea...

I have an '02 Jeep Wrangler , 6 cylinder/4.0/five speed, with about 197,000
miles on it. For the past 20 or 30 thousand miles I've had an occasional misfire
and flashing check engine light (codes P0300, P0301) during periods of slowing
down with the engine engaged. If I pushed the clutch in a let the engine idle
while slowing down, the problem would not appear...

It was more of an annoyance than a big problem as it would occur for a couple of days, then go
away for weeks or months at a time. Recently, it's doing it all the time now, so I can't put it off any longer...

Things I've done include dropping the fuel tank and replacing the fuel sender unit (this fixed my fuel gauge indicator
occasionally going dead problem), replacing the crank position sensor, replaced the plugs and plug wires.

Any thoughts? I've found many threads talking about misfires and flashing CEL occurring at highway speeds around 60 miles per
hour or so and that slowing down the problem would go away. My problem seems to be exact opposite. Jeep runs fine at highway speeds, but acts up when I slow down with the engine in gear. As a matter of fact, if I press the gas and accelerate, the engine stops misfiring and the CEL stops flashing.

My first thought is a leaking injector. As you go 0 throttle, it pulls high vacuum and could actually suck gas out of a borderline injector. Do you have any smoke at start-up?

Check Compression on # 1 cyl. Make sure you used Champion plugs for the Jeep. Check fuel injector on # 1 cyl and also check your dist cap and rotor button.

Check Compression on # 1 cyl. Make sure you used Champion plugs for the Jeep. Check fuel injector on # 1 cyl and also check your dist cap and rotor button.

I second the champion plugs, tried all different kinds in mine at one point only to go back to the champions.

Thanks guys. I did forget to mention that I did check the compression and that it was good on all the cylinders. I did put champion plugs in.

I'll take a look at the other stuff.

Update:

The Jeep has been running unusually bad for the past week. Same symptoms as usual, just worse, so I went ahead and rechecked my codes this evening. Has three: P0135, P0301 (always has that one) and P0455.

The P0135 references the upstream O2 sensor, bank 1, I believe. Somebody on the Jeep forum I'm asking questions on had already suggested looking at the O2 sensors, so I'll go ahead and replace both upstream sensors tomorrow and see how it does.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom