• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Relisted! Why .380??

With that logic, might as well carry a 22LR. No one wants to get shot with one of those right? Or forget the gun and carry a knife.

You are correct. I doubt anyone wants to get shot by a .22 or a .17 or a .40 etc etc. (Or stuck with a knife) What does all this have to do with the .380 vs 9mm question? The .380 ammo I carry meets FBI penetration standards. I'm good with that.

In my opinion, the 380 has more said muzzle flip than the 9 millies, and the same size gun. Maybe it's the rate the powder burns, but a noticeable difference to me.

^^ This ^^
Got rid of my .380s, kept .22 & .32, 9mm and .45. And of course those .38 spl Smith revolvers!
Until the boating accident...

You are correct. I doubt anyone wants to get shot by a .22 or a .17 or a .40 etc etc. (Or stuck with a knife) What does all this have to do with the .380 vs 9mm question? The .380 ammo I carry meets FBI penetration standards. I'm good with that.

You used that logic to suggest that 380 is adequate ballistically (which it may or may not be). My point was that the "do you want to get shot by it?" logic for a caliber is not helpful, no one wants to get shot by any caliber lol.

As said by others, in the small carry class a 380 can be more 'shootable' than a 9. Recoil is a product of bullet weight and velocity. My S&W Shield is less pleasant to shoot than my Sig P230.

Also, a lot of 380s are a little smaller than the 9s, for small framed people that makes a big difference in conceal-ability.

As said by others, in the small carry class a 380 can be more 'shootable' than a 9. Recoil is a product of bullet weight and velocity. My S&W Shield is less pleasant to shoot than my Sig P230.

Also, a lot of 380s are a little smaller than the 9s, for small framed people that makes a big difference in conceal-ability.
..bullet wt and velocity AND gun wt.

I had an XDs 9mm, XDs 45 and now have a G42. I bought the XDs guns for pocket carry and found them to be to large. I am not willing to change my cloths to include only cargo pocket pants to carry those pistols. G42 wasn't even on my radar till a friend asked me to look at his wife's G42 because it was having extraction issues. It was fine when I fired it so I determined it was his wife's small frame causing limp wrist failures. She went shooting with me and we corrected the issue now she has no extraction issues. I found the G42 to be a really nice shooter and figured it was just an exceptional example of a G42. Then I did a trigger job on a G42 for one of my wife's friends and I ran several mags through it to check function and found it to shoot as well as the other G42 I had fired so I went out and bought one for myself. Took all of about 30 seconds to realize this is the pocket gun I have been looking for.

You can only make a 9mm gun so small because of the size of the bullet and the barrel radius. Even though a .380 is just a slight bit smaller than a 9mm its enough to be able to make the physical size of the gun smaller as well.

honestly the ballistics are about equal on quality ammo with 380ACP vs 9MM, but for me its the size of the gun, different guns for different jobs, i can conceal my G42 better on my body than my G43 and theres only a 1/4" difference in slide and butt, i feel comfortable carrying either but in my line of work discretion is a must. Id rather carry the 380 than a smaller 22 or a 32. That being said i don't stock nearly as much 380 ammo as much as i do 9mm, i keep about 500 rounds of range ammo and about 100 rounds of SD vs 9mm I keep 5K rounds of range and 1K of SD.

Back
Top Bottom