• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Relisted! Why .380??

For any particular gun's size and weight, the more powerful of a round you shoot from it, the more recoil it will have.
Also, you'll need a heavier-duty recoil spring, which can make it difficult (for women and the elderly, especially) to cawk.
I've never fired the smallest of the micro-sized 9mm pistols; the ones that are the size and weight of what most .32 and .380 pistols were a generation ago.
But, in guns the size of the Bersa Thunder, the Walther PPK, or the Colt Mustang/ Pony, I don't want a more powerful round. .380 is the limit for me. Any more recoil and muzzle flip and my groups would open up significantly and / or my speed of shooting would drop.

I feel the same way about those alloy-frame .38/357 snubby revolvers that weigh about 13 ounces empty.
I have tried .357 magnum loads through them, and I "can" shoot them reasonably fast and hit a man-sized target in the chest with all 5 shots, but I do A LOT BETTER, AND FASTER if I load the gun with .38 spl ammo. So that's what I carry in those. The ability to take .357 Mag ammo is just a bonus, may increase the gun's resale value, assures me that any .38 +P loads can't harm the gun, and once in a blue moon I may want to put a 125 gr. magnum load in it just to splatter a plastic jug of creek water or an old pumpkin or something.

I would feel safe carrying a 380 with good ammo. As I've said before I love the Bersa line. I wish they would offer a polymer frame model. But that might run into a problem meeting import regs. And it's nearly impossible to find a smaller lighter pocket gun than the P32/P3AT.
As far as the G42 goes I haven't held or fired one but it seems like the G43 is only a tiny bit bigger. So it kinda makes the G42 pointless. On the bottom end of the market you have the Hi Point C380 and the C9 that both use the same mags. They're almost identical in size and weight. So there's not much reason to buy the 380. I guess my point is I don't hate or dismiss 380 as a caliber choice but it has to be the right pistol for it to be practical.

I say you start a 9mm vs 380 thread and start it out right.
I might have answered my own question. Why have 2 pocket guns at all? Why have a safe full of guns? Because we like guns! I guess in my mind, having both the Sig 238 and 938, the 238 didn't make sense because we're talking a half inch difference give or take. Plus I will admit I have always thought the Walther PPK is a sexy looking piece.

Attachments

• IMG_9789.jpg
    IMG_9789.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 25
I love these threads! Let's all meet somewhere and see who will let me pop a cap in their general direction from my G42. :thumb:

Bueller? Bueller?
With that logic, might as well carry a 22LR. No one wants to get shot with one of those right? Or forget the gun and carry a knife.

380 is more reliable in the cheaper small firearms compared to 9mm.

the sig 9mm smaller guns are reliable for sure but many can only afford the cheaper brands which lack the sig reliability using 9mm in a small package.

at least we don't need to use 25 acp in our mouse or subcompact firearms nowadays

For any particular gun's size and weight, the more powerful of a round you shoot from it, the more recoil it will have.
Also, you'll need a heavier-duty recoil spring, which can make it difficult (for women and the elderly, especially) to cawk.
I've never fired the smallest of the micro-sized 9mm pistols; the ones that are the size and weight of what most .32 and .380 pistols were a generation ago.
But, in guns the size of the Bersa Thunder, the Walther PPK, or the Colt Mustang/ Pony, I don't want a more powerful round. .380 is the limit for me. Any more recoil and muzzle flip and my groups would open up significantly and / or my speed of shooting would drop.

I feel the same way about those alloy-frame .38/357 snubby revolvers that weigh about 13 ounces empty.
I have tried .357 magnum loads through them, and I "can" shoot them reasonably fast and hit a man-sized target in the chest with all 5 shots, but I do A LOT BETTER, AND FASTER if I load the gun with .38 spl ammo. So that's what I carry in those. The ability to take .357 Mag ammo is just a bonus, may increase the gun's resale value, assures me that any .38 +P loads can't harm the gun, and once in a blue moon I may want to put a 125 gr. magnum load in it just to splatter a plastic jug of creek water or an old pumpkin or something.

In my opinion, the 380 has more said muzzle flip than the 9 millies, and the same size gun. Maybe it's the rate the powder burns, but a noticeable difference to me.

Back
Top Bottom