• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Is this true about trannies?

Back in the day, yes, it was better to leave well enough alone.

I bought my wife's Denali with 108K on the clock and the first thing I did was service it.

I've heard it both ways. Personally I'd just drop the pan, change the filter, refill fluids. If it's exceptionally dirty you could do it again in another 1-2k. I changed a lot like that when I worked in automotive and never had one come back with issues.

X2, did it to my ranger that way years ago

I would'nt do a flush but should be ok to change filter and fluid. you are only changing about half of fluid with a fliter change. a flush with the cleaner can cause built up debris to come loose and can cause problems.

Changing the filter by dropping the lan is equivalent to Changing your oil filter and topping g off the oil. Your not doing a Damn thing lol . No offense. But if the fluid is typically atf and not cvt fluid then don't mess with it. Atf is a detergent as well as a lubricant. If there is a ton of **** in the trans fluid from not being changed for 100k + mi then the new fluid will wash all that mess loose and could cause issues

I disagree but to each his own. I spent 5 years in an auto shop and did countless trans services when customers wanted them without having them fall apart half a mile down the road. I don't think the manufacturer intended for you to never service it.

Comparing this to changing an oil filter and throwing half a quart in is stupid. When you drop a tranny pan you are going to be emptying the system aside from what's in the cooler, lines etc. funny how when we refilled them it wasn't just throwing in half a quart.

I suppose that that all was back in the day before everyone had an internet connection and knew everything, old timers threw kerosene or diesel in to dissolve the gunk but I won't make that suggestion.

I would'nt do a flush but should be ok to change filter and fluid. you are only changing about half of fluid with a fliter change. a flush with the cleaner can cause built up debris to come loose and can cause problems.

I've been in this business for half of my life and ^^^^ THIS ^^^^ , I agree whole heartedly.

I've been in this business for half of my life and ^^^^ THIS ^^^^ , I agree whole heartedly.

I'll join this in agreement! My shop WONT service your trans with that many miles, unless you have a history of changing it with us!!!!!!!

When I ran service at a Ford dealership we would absolutely NOT touch a high mileage trans unless there was proof of a history of service.

Back
Top Bottom