• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is M855-A1 not a good round for the AR platform?

User170512

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Occasionally Banned, but OK
49   0
Reaction score
As more of this starts coming into availability, what do we need to know about this newer "green" lead-free round?

https://smallarmssolutions.com/home/the-m855a1

M855 pressures:
2768399_orig.png

M855-A1 pressures:
5966660_orig.png

Interesting read with some good information even if the article is now three years old. One of the reasons I stay away from buying any green tip rounds. Thanks for the article.

Interesting read with some good information even if the article is now three years old. One of the reasons I stay away from buying any green tip rounds. Thanks for the article.
I found it interesting as well and both the article and the round are decently old now. Had seen the newer ammo surface here and there, but was unaware of the deeper differences. Also interesting that its not much more of an AP round than plain M855.

This is not the same as the typical "green tip" This is the environmentally friendly makes rainbows and kittens when fired ammunition with no lead.

This is not the same as the typical "green tip" This is the environmentally friendly makes rainbows and kittens when fired ammunition with no lead.
Yes, was also surprised to find out there had been range closures or changes based on environmental pressures.

"It’s important to digress and explore the “green round” story at this point. As silly as it sounds, environmentalists have been successful stopping and even ending certain military training. The Navy’s use of sonar on the Pacific coast, the loss of the only naval gunnery, aviation live fire and ground operations training on Puerto Rico’s Vieques Island and the limits placed on training areas at Ft Bragg to save the red-cockaded woodpecker have all been environmental victories that minimized or eliminated necessary military training."

From: https://gruntsandco.com/army-vs-marine-rifle-round-like-believe/

I didn't read the article so forgive me if it's in there, but I remember reading somewhere that the new 855A1 is hotter as it was meant to be fired from short guns like the Mk18 in an attempt to retain more downrange energy and aid in cycling in dirty weapons with less than ideal gas lengths. It does all that at the expense of extremely elevated wear to the platform and much much shorter service life of the barrel and bolt carrier groups. It's like regular m855 but in a +p or even +p+.

Back
Top Bottom