• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a WHITE OAK tree worth anything? In Marietta

No, have not placed an ad. so... FREE FIREWOOD available for a few more days.
Chainsaw needed to cut the logs and haul away.

Also, wanted to say thanks to a good tree service....
VILCHIS TREE SERVICE
They were fast and gave me a good price and cleaned up all the branches and cleaned the driveway.
470-213-4223 or 404-492-4087
This was in Marietta and I talked to Travis.

White oak is a great wood, wont rot and insect resistant.

I made a playscape out of white oak at my last house.

Good for boat building too.

Looks like this thread is older but just for informational purposes most oak is either suitable for firewood or it can be sold as hardwood pulp meaning it gets dropped into a giant grinder at a mill and later used for all the many things we use pulp for. If its pulp quality which is probably 85% of the oak out there then the mills pay 28$ a ton or more for it. Local yards near metro Atlanta pay 10-15$ a ton for it when brought to their yards. Yards up 575 north pay 20$ a ton for it.
If it is saw log quality hardwood which means fairly straight with few limbs or knots but not perfect in 8'6" through 18'6" or even longer length measures in board lengths +6" for error then some local yards up 575 and other places are paying up to $45 a ton for it. It will become dimensional lumber for construction...

If it is almost perfect....round...no inclusions, knots, or imperfections...no limbs of any consequence then we call that 4 sides clear and it can be taken to a mill in North Georgia where they pay up to $1.00 a board foot for white oak which will equate to somewhere around 250$ a ton give or take. Local yards near Metro Atlanta will pay $100.00 a ton for 4 sides clear white oak. It will become hardwood flooring. Once again lengths must be cut in board lengths same as saw logs +6" (8'6", 10'6", 12'6", 14"6".......etc.

If you want to figure out what a tree is worth first grade it and then go to woodweb calculator on internet or Norwood board foot calculator app on phone and you can approximate the weight and or board feet in the logs that come from the tree.

Thanks for the reply....very informative. One of the logs was that nice.
The big truck with the CLAW came and got them.
I just wish there was some way to have made them into lumber but in the end home depot is cheaper. Sad!

Thanks for the reply....very informative. One of the logs was that nice.
The big truck with the CLAW came and got them.
I just wish there was some way to have made them into lumber but in the end home depot is cheaper. Sad!
There is. Theres a small sawmill on Bells Ferry RD at Bascomb Carmel in Woodstock where a guy will mill your wood for you for cheap. Many others like him as well. Plenty of owners of WoodMizers and other small bandsaw and circular saws out there who will mill wood for people either on site or you can bring it to them.
It is cheaper to have it milled and kiln dried than it would be to buy it anywhere out there but it does require time and effort......Too busy paying 450k for our 150k houses for thirty years to have time for that though....
I cut thousands of trees a year on the Interstate system and I give the logs away or put them through large chippers...One day I will build my own home out of logs from the property the home will be built on though.....
We could completely build a 3000sq ft log home with the number of logs we throw away every week of cutting.
The Grapple truck you saw was probably a straight truck with no trailer.... 20 loads on that truck which would be approx. 15 tons per load would build a 3000sq ft home.

Back
Top Bottom