• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a WHITE OAK tree worth anything? In Marietta

Camper292000

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
OK tree guys are coming tomorrow and going to cut and haul off. Am I throwing money in the trash? I'm definitely throwing a boatload of money to them.
It's maybe a 100 foot tree near the house. Maybe just under 36" diameter at base.

should I keep a few logs? or all and sell? or advertise for free?

It would be neat to keep a 12 or 14' log and split it into beams but can't imagine how I'd get that done!

If anyone wants some cut sections LET ME KNOW. Just don't want to throw good wood away if I don't know what I'm doing.

Maybe I'll carve a bear or an owl out of the stump. nah, probably chop my fingers off.

It makes some really great fire wood haha. But without a skid steer and a dump truck it would really hard to do anything with it. They refloor dump truck beds with it but that's about it.

It would be a lot of work and some expense for you, but you can request to have 10' sections left, and have them sent to a mill for processing then to a kiln dryer to dry them. Once dried and surfaced white oak in good condition will get you about $4-6 per board foot (one foot x one foot x 1" thick). I build kitchens and furniture and white oak is often preferred over red oak for it's grain, color and flecking. I've done several really nice projects over the years with white oak. However, there's no real shortage of it so you don't have anything that one cannot run over to Peach State Lumber and pick up.

Back
Top Bottom