Is a J frame enough

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I was just thinking this question had never been discussed so I thought I would ask. I have heard the story of 10 gun guys sitting down at dinner and all have a J frame in their pocket most as their primary if they were carrying at all. Most of the police officers I know carry nothing off duty.

Over the past almost 15 years I have carried from a Keltec P32/NAA mini - Glock 17/4" k frame. Im 5' 7" 140 ish and I am capable of carrying almost anything while maintaining a grey precense. I dont look tactial or operatorish. Recently I have been carrying my Glock 19 because Its awesome at what it does. I shoot it well, it carries lots of ammo, it reloads easy, and is lighter than a K frame. I have been thinking though that maybe its over kill. I live a low threat lifestyle and would like to think my situational awareness is above average. Im begining to wonder if carrying a 19 is overkill. I also have a 26 and I simply shoot the J frame better. I wonder if my J frame would serve me just as well. The only time in all of my years Ive needed my carry gun was to dispatch a water moccasin and the J frame was on task. If I never draw my gun I will be as happy a hound in the sun. I know there are those that say a j frame is a belly gun for contact distances I call BS I say its good for headshots out to 25 if you dont use excuses.

I know its cool to talk about the latest and greatest. I know its cool to have the latest and greatest. Im just wondering how many of you carry a J frame? How many of you did carry a J frame until something happened to change your mind.

Last edited:
Hard to imagine a better carry pistol than a Smith 638. I've carried a j frame on and off my whole life and never felt under gunned.

I would say that for 95% of the situations a J-Frame "alone" is enough, just like any firearm would be. For most of those just bringing a gun is enough. For the exceptions there, one or two shots seal the deal. It is those other 5% of encounters that make me wonder about the J-Frame or other low capacity handguns.

Most instructors say to carry at least one spare mag, and I would say the same for a snubbie. Carry a speed loader.

I think back to the off-duty police officer that responded to the Oregon mall shooter. IIRC, he fired 6 or 7 shots (10 round mag) and then waited around for support hoping to God that there wasn't another perp.

So while the J-Frame is enough from a single shot power factor, I would carry at least one speedloader to ensure that I had enough overall firepower.

I always carry a few speed loaders. I carry defensive reload as well as one strip with 4 lswc for things that simply need shooting and 2 shot loads.

gut gun my tail!!! with enough practice anyone can hit head shots all day at 25 yards or at least I have been able to and that's DA only. Love my jframe

Back
Top Bottom