• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a gun trust worth the money

years ago when trust were the way to go, I bought a suppressor on mine. My last purchase was an individual eFile. My wife isn’t using (her choice) my NFA stuff without me around and my son is still little. When I’m dead and gone, they can transfer it all to whomever on a Form 5.

It used to be almost mandatory since it got you away from having to file fingerprints and pictures each time, and avoided the whole LEO approval requirement.

It also allowed you to loan NFA items to people named in the trust without you having to be present.

That is still true, but as mentioned above anyone deemed a 'responsible person' is now required to send in fingerprints and photos as well, which can be a hassle.

Also, it seemed like trusts were being processed a lot slower after the change than individual forms by the ATF, probably due to the added step of their lawyers reviewing each one.

If you want to make things easy on yourself, I wouldn't worry that much about trusts or individuals. I would be more concerned with the vendor.

Going through a vendor like Silencer Central or Silencer Shop (or one of their dealers) makes life a lot easier.

Everything is done online except getting the fingerprints, and with Silencer Shop you can do that at any of their kiosks. I'm not sure how Silencer Central handles that.

Both of them also offer trusts if you want one, and the option of using e-file or paper for your submission (the process is a little different for each).

If you are new to the process I would simply go though one of these vendors. Once you are set up with them getting additional cans is simple, since they do all the legwork.

Back
Top Bottom