• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If you need a job, or are unhappy in your current job....

Have you changed jobs in the last 6 months?

• Yes

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • No, but I'm about to.

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
I'm doing fine but working for myself means working until I'm dead. I'm 41 and retirement is making sure that there is enough meat on me for my family to feed off of when I die. I cannot possibly go to work for someone else that will pay my bills. Especially up here where we moved to.
My resume consists of, well I did alright for myself but I'm tired of the bull****, I'd like to make xxx,xxx.xx a year.
I understand. But I suspect you could get six figures working for the man. Now how far up in the six figures might be the deciding factor.
And oh yeah.... it's not how much you make, it's how much you spend. I keep telling myself that.

It's crazy how desperate places are for good help right now.
I see job opportunities all around to make double what I make now being self employed. Twice the money and half the headache. They're tempting, but I can't go back to being an employee.
Dude, I kick it around all the time. That twice as much ain't twice as much either when you do your own taxes. I pay 100% of my taxes anyway but I mean, you know?

I understand. But I suspect you could get six figures working for the man. Now how far up in the six figures might be the deciding factor.
And oh yeah.... it's not how much you make, it's how much you spend. I keep telling myself that.
I don't spend ****. Its the rest of my roommates that spend. These 4 other people here are expensive

I turn 71 in about a month. I have retired from the Air Force with 23 years in, managed a Toys R Us store, and for the last 25 years have been working with an agency that provides Sign Language Interpreters for the Deaf. The company changed hands 5 years ago and I voluntarily stepped down from being the Manager to being a coordinator and for the last 5 years I have worked at sitting up databases and doing all the financials.

Because of the recent unpleasantness they asked me to switch from full time 40+ hour salary to part time, 3 days a week 24 hours a week. I've done that since the first of this year. It works for me. I'm off Wednesday and Friday. I don't get any benefits from the company since I have medicare and tricare for life and SGLI. They think I'm expensive but they don't have to pay any of the full time benefits and haven't for the last 5 years.

Anyway, we can probably make it pretty well if I just quit working. But, I like to work and don't really like the idea of not working. I'm a little old and slow for a lot of fast food jobs or grocery store bagging, and at the same time, while I have a lot of experience I don't see anyone wanting to take me in on their management team. So, what do I do? I guess work until they run me off or just quit working after the first of the year and hang around long enough for Christmas bonus and profit sharing.

It's hell getting old and worthless.

Back
Top Bottom