• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

IDPA Vs USPSA, which one my son should start with?

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
My son, (15) has been shooting and hunting with me since he was 5. Recently he has expressed the desire to learn practical shooting and I am OK with it. I do not want to say he is super proficient, but he knows how to handle his firearms. This could also be a good excuse for me for doing it again.

I have direct experience with IDPA. There were two things that I really appreciated about IDPA. The first one was that it made me realize that I really did not know even the basics of how to use a pistol when under pressure. It really changed my mindset, and while I still don't want to be overconfident I think that the chances of shooting myself with my gun, if under attach, have dramatically decreased thanks to all the practice I did at that time. The other thing I liked about IDPA was that I had to use a standard production pistol and holster. That allowed me to become more proficient with the same tools that I was using every day for personal defense, and with the added benefit of not having to buy a dedicated firearm and additional accessories.

As far as USPSA is concerned, I am not really familiar with it, other than for the videos that I have watched on YouTube and that I think you have to use "fancy" pistols and optics. I have also the impression that there are more professional shooter in USPSA than in IDPA, but I may be wrong about that.

Both disciplines seem to be available at a couple of ranges near me, so I wanted to ask forum members who have experience with both disciplines. Which one would you chose for your son, based on (a) cost, (b) fun, (c) learning something that can be useful in real life, and (d) which one would be preferred if in the future he decides to try to become a "professional" competition shooter.

:laser:

In terms of complexity, GSSF -> Steel Challenge -> IDPA -> USPSA

GSSF, you start at low ready to shoot and shoot targets while stand standing still.

Steel Challenge is also static shooting with exception of one stage that's infrequently run, but you're drawing from a holster in the centerfire-pistol divisions.

In IDPA, you're drawing from a holster and moving with a loaded weapon. How you move and engage the targets is specified very clearly in the stage description. Max round count per stage is 18, so not a whole lot to remember. The scoring system places a premium on accuracy.

In USPSA, you're given a set of fault lines and can shoot the targets in any order you want from within them. Max round count per stage is 32, so there's a lot more to remember. Often you'll see targets from multiple locations. No fancy pistol necessary, Production division lets you be competitive with a Glock 34, or you can throw a red-dot optic on it and shoot Carry Optics. The scoring demands both speed and accuracy.

I'd recommend taking him to GSSF and Steel Challenge to learn about shooting competition, then move to IDPA and USPSA to tackle more complicated shooting challenge. Shooting USPSA around Atlanta will humble anyone: you'll be up against dudes who place highly at the World Shoot and Nationals. The level of competition in USPSA is truly ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom