I want to build a cheap AR

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
Well I have hit the point where I am itching for an AR. I think I want to build one though and learn about it as I go. I was reading on here in another part about $50 lowers or something and I assume that's for an AR. I don't want something that is a piece of crap but I don't need it to end up being a $1000 rifle. I have shot a lot of AR's and can field strip them, but I don't know anything when it comes to buying one. What are some options or a good starter list for parts? I guess I would have to build it in .223, (I would love .308 but i'll save that one for on down the road) but I also like how cheap 5.45 is right now. Thanks!

palmetto state has stripped lowers for $50. use cherokee gun and pawn as your ffl, free transfer. they also have 16" uppers for $355 right now.

Palmetto State Armory has really good sales on lowers every once in awhile. If not there maybe you can find a blemished one in sale somewhere like aimsurplus.com. JSEsurplus has some good deals on lowers to.

I always point people in the direction of del-ton..rifle kits for $465 and if you find one of those stripped lowers for $50 you've got a decent rifle for <$600

If it's that much cheaper to build an AR, then why do folks insist on spending thousands of dollars on one?

Is there a source out there that will show you a parts list and a "how to assemble" instructions?

People spend more money on premium parts. You can build one for less than $600.00, you can buy a complete one now for about the same? You're not going to end up with a $1k AR from a $600.00 parts rifle. But you can customize with the parts you like, as you go.

A $350.00 complete upper with BCG is going to be hard to beat? I'm an amateur, but don't think I can't put one together with new parts that cheap. I can however customize it as I want.

A lower is pretty much a lower in my eyes. I use mid to premium level fire control components in my stuff, but you can buy a standard lower parts kit many places for $50-$60.00. You can choose your stock too.

I've bought new complete lowers with collapsible stock for around $225.00. Most are a little more, maybe around $300.00.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom