• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunter Rifle "match" at Riverbend

Well, the weather looks OK, so I'm a go.
Assuming I wake up refreshed and ready to take on the day.
I'll be there with a 20" barreled AR and a reproduction of the original Colt 3X (or, in later versions, 4X) short, stubby scope that mounts on the carry handle.
upload_2019-12-20_22-43-28.jpeg

Here’s a story regarding that match....

So the former club manager decides it would be a good way to raise funds for the RBGC Scholarships to have an egg shoot around Easter.

But he’s going to try it out first after a Hunter Rifle match to see how it goes.
He paints 3 cardboard boxes black and hangs a medium size egg from the top with a piece of string and a couple pieces of tape and puts them out at 500 meters.

Starting cold, with your rifle unloaded in a case and you’re other gear on a table, you have 2 minutes to fire a shot.

So the first guy gives it a go. Totally unhurried a minute and 40 seconds later he fires a shot and breaks the egg.

Another guy wants to give it a try, a minute and 35 seconds later he fires his shot and breaks the 2nd egg.

I couldn’t help but smile when the former manager looked at me and said, “Jeez with these guys we’re going to need quail eggs!”

We have some shooters out there..... :D

Was a decent turnout of 15-20 shooters. Managed to stay in the black at each distance.
Lesson learned. Get some insulated boots. Ensure SFP scope is at correct magnification setting when calculating adjustments.
Next rinse, reload, repeat

Man i had a killer time!
zKlauDCl.jpg

tmdZVwLl.jpg

rxzg6qml.jpg

I could stand to have a muzzle device added to help keep the rifle on target. I should test some other ammunition types out past 100 yds to see if they offer any improved performance

Back
Top Bottom