• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunter Rifle "match" at Riverbend

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Riverbend Gun Club in Dawsonville (also close to Canton, and Cumming) is having a 200, 300, and 600 yards rifle shoot this coming Saturday, 12/21.
This match is open to any rifle that has the power and accuracy to go the distance. And if it's not good enough to shoot 600, you can still use it and 200 and 300 at least.
Unlike other highpower rifle matches or service rifle competitions, here scopes are allowed. They want your gun to have some type of optic or a nice set of precise iron sights made for target shooting or long range hunting.

If the weather is going to be dry, I'm going to this.
If it looks like rain, I'll pass until some other time. They have these kinds of shoots almost every month.

Here's a description of what happens at a Riverbend Gun Club "hunting rifle" match.

P.S. I've done it once before, several years ago. That was one of the days that we got to shoot moving targets... the guys in the pits would hold up cardboard animals on long wooden sticks and walk them back and forth, as the relay on the firing line took shots at them from 200 yards. Way cool !!

http://rbgc.org/HuntingRifle/HuntingRifle.html

This is a great venue to learn shooting beyond 100 yds. The crew will help you get/stay on target. At the end of the day you get the target with your shots marked as a souvenir.

I go a few times a year just to keep my rifles in tune. Usually 10-20 shooters show up.

Be on time for the safety brief.
Bring 50 to 75 rounds - I only shoot 30 - 5/200, 10/300, 15/600. You get 20 minutes each distance. Shoot any or all distances.

We shoot prone. Bring a rug, yogi mat, shooting mat if you have one. If not, there’ll be extras you can borrow for the day.
I’ve not seen them do moving targets.
I’ll try to make this one too

I usually go every third weekend throughout the year. I usually show up early and help the crew set up the targets in the pit area before everyone else shows. I pull in and throw on my tattered white hat. Sometimes I will just work the pit area for the day or sometimes I shoot....It all depends how I feel when I wake up and the night I have had before. If you have went there and had to deal with sarcastic comments and an occasional profanity, you may remember me. Great bunch of people. I have had the pleasure of meeting a father and son years ago and have had the opportunity to watch this young man grow to be an incredible marksman. I even spent a day with an older gentleman who bought his first ar15 platform and instructed him on it's operation and lubrication and such. Good place to meet good people.

Back
Top Bottom