• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How big a pain in the ass is this red Loctite going to be?

How can I get this buffer tube off?

• Total voters
In all seriousness, why you trying to take apart? Just playing around or do you need new tube?? If it’s not broke don’t fix. F it. Screw the castle but back on and post lower on here for double price. Someone will take it. :nod:
That soumds like a plan. I'm certain I have new tubes and castle nuts and fixing plates in my parts tub 10 feet to my left but I'm too lazy to go dig through it to find them.

Don't use a use a blow torch. Use a heat gun and concentrate all the heat evenly around the area it was used in. It will slip right on off then. Had to do 100 times on barrel nuts and buffer tubes. I don't know why people do that on buffer tubes. The backing plate has that oval indentation to stop rotation anyway. The little locating tab on the backing plate that fits into the buffer tube slot is use to line up the backing plate is part of the anti-rotartion system. It keeps the backing plate in place and the backing plate keeps the buffer tube from rotating. Locktite is just overkill and takes away the ease of modularity at that.
A little locktite to bed a loose barrel extension is ok but no on the threads and not on the buffer system. They have a mil spec grease for the barrel nut for torque purposes.

044F7AF6-4DCD-4A34-8E71-CEAEC9A24F17.gif

Don't use a use a blow torch. Use a heat gun and concentrate all the heat evenly around the area it was used in. It will slip right on off then. Had to do 100 times on barrel nuts and buffer tubes. I don't know why people do that on buffer tubes. The backing plate has that oval indentation to stop rotation anyway. The little locating tab on the backing plate that fits into the buffer tube slot is use to line up the backing plate is part of the anti-rotartion system. It keeps the backing plate in place and the backing plate keeps the buffer tube from rotating. Locktite is just overkill and takes away the ease of modularity at that.
A little locktite to bed a loose barrel extension is ok but no on the threads and not on the buffer system. They have a mil spec grease for the barrel nut for torque purposes.
These were my thoughts as I discovered the "ingenuity" of Mr. William Roberts. It's never occurred to me to put thread locker on a buffer tube.

get one of those mini butane torches. small enough to control and it gets hot enough to do the job. You just need to get it hot enough to soften the loctite, then unscrew it....easy peasy....BUT if some of the parts are aluminum alloy, as opposed to steel, it might melt them.

Back in my paintball days I used red loctite to attach the valves to the CO2 bottles.

Back
Top Bottom