• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hormel canned food -- good for prepping

Sharpsburg

Boar Icon Lifetime Supporter
Soylent green is people!
173   0
Reaction score
I was researching foods with long shelf life and according to Hormel's website, their products have an indefinite shelf life, although "maximum flavor" is achieved by consuming before the date on the can.

What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can?

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines.

http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#emergency

The food is pre-cooked and can be eaten right out of the can. Some post-apocolyptic chilli (with or without beans) can be had for about $1.50 per 15 oz. can at Sam's club. :hungry: They also sell 108 oz. giant cans for big gatherings :grouphug:

Last edited:
I was researching foods with long shelf life and according to Hormel's website, their products have an indefinite shelf life, although "maximum flavor" is achieved by consuming before the date on the can.

http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#emergency

The food is pre-cooked and can be eaten right out of the can. Some post-apocolyptic chilli (with or without beans) can be had for about $1.50 per 15 oz. can at Sam's club. :hungry: They also sell 108 oz. giant cans for big gatherings :grouphug:

I wouldn't touch food that has an indefinite shelf life with a ten foot pole. The amount of preservatives has to be out of this world.

I wouldn't touch food that has an indefinite shelf life with a ten foot pole. The amount of preservatives has to be out of this world.

at the point in which you rely upon these items for your very survival... i doubt concerns with preservatives will be high on many peoples lists.

"omg.. eww it has a lot of preservatives in it! I will never eat that even though I am 6'2" and weigh 58 pounds!"

at the point in which you rely upon these items for your very survival... i doubt concerns with preservatives will be high on many peoples lists."omg.. eww it has a lot of preservatives in it! I will never eat that even though I am 6'2" and weigh 58 pounds!"
I was thinking the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom