• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

High mileage oil - yes / no ?

If it's not using oil just keep doing what you've been doing. You start using synthetic it'll probably start using oil. I have vehicles going on 400k miles and use conventional oils
That’s one of those old wives tales. Synthetic is harder to burn anyway so switching to that won’t cause it. If the lighter weight let’s it slip past the rings and seals, it’s showing it’s age anyway and you probably need the extra protection.

I have an 02 tahoe with around 180k on it. It sits as a spare 99% of the time, probably a thousand miles a year, if that. So far I've put conventional oil in every 3k. It's a great vehicle I want to keep going as long as possible, (plenty of spares available, not too many electrics, tough & versatile).

So who would use high mileage oil or synthetic instead of good old dino ?
If anyone wants to switch from Dino to synthetic, I think it's best done before you have 40 or 50 thousand miles on the engine... in your case just keep doing what you have been doing, changing now will probably cause problems.

My '07 has 304,000 miles on nothing but fresh Dino juice.

That’s one of those old wives tales. Synthetic is harder to burn anyway so switching to that won’t cause it. If the lighter weight let’s it slip past the rings and seals, it’s showing it’s age anyway and you probably need the extra protection.
^^^This^^^ synthetic is all I use and have used since the early ‘80s. Started with Klotz when I was 2 stroke racing. Went to Amsoil in all my 4 stroke stuff and just kinda stayed there.

If anyone wants to switch from Dino to synthetic, I think it's best done before you have 40 or 50 thousand miles on the engine... in your case just keep doing what you have been doing, changing now will probably cause problems.

My '07 has 304,000 miles on nothing but fresh Dino juice.
Another “old wives tale” changing oil does not cause any problems. That was an industry rumor trying to get people to stay with inferior oils back in the day.

Been running bulk 10W30 in my '99 4.0 Mazda truck since I purchased in 2011 with 104k on it. Has 331k on it now and I'm still running the same with no issues. Change including filter every 3k miles.........

Another “old wives tale” changing oil does not cause any problems. That was an industry rumor trying to get people to stay with inferior oils back in the day.
It's not an old wives tale, but do as you please and I'll do the same.

I run the type an weight my manufacturer recommends, and I only use OEM or better filters.

Oil & filters are cheap ... new engines are very expensive.

Ive always wondered this. I figure different oils may have different detergents that may clean or break something loose left by a different oil.

I run Castrol 5w40 euro synthetic and wix filter in daughters VW Jetta. Its what previous owner used and Im afraid of changing anything due to the turbo.
I run 0W16 Toyota in wifes Camry with Toyota filter. I run 5W30 Synblend and toyota or wix filter in my Tundra with 160+
I change my oil in each of them at 5000 miles because its easy to remember on the 5's and on the 0's I dont have to think of it and my folks are quick to tell me its time to take their vehicle to work with me.

Back
Top Bottom