Hi-tech Golf Driving Range

jeepinshep

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
I got home today from my vacation in Texas. While I was there, I went to a driving range called "TopGolf" in Dallas.

TopGolf is not your typical driving range. The way it is set up, there are several huge holes in the ground at various distances that are each divided like a dartboard. There are several different "games" that you can play with your buddies.

The way it works is, you insert your membership card (loaded with $$) into a machine that asks how many games you'd like to play. It deducts the amount of money off of your card (about $3 per game) and dispenses 20 golf balls into your basket. These golf balls each have a little microchip in them that is programmed in your name.

You then set up in your bay and place your golf balls into a little green tray that has a hole in it. As you pass a ball through the hole, it "registers" your ball on the computer for your bay (kinda like a bowling alley - it registers that you are the person who is driving and it will apply the points to your name). The ball then roles out onto your driving pad for you to hit into the field.

You get different point levels for hitting the ball into the various holes based on the distance of that hole and where in the "dart board" your ball lands.

I'm doing a really crappy job at explaining how it works...just know that it is AWESOME. Unfortunately, TopGolf only has a few locations in the USA, none of which are in Georgia.

Check out their website for a better idea of how to play.

Also, if anyone knows of anything like this in the Atlanta area, please share!

Here is a picture of how the field is laid out. The driving bays are in the grey area on the right side of the picture:

www.topgolfusa.com_Images_Alexandria_Field_targets_large.gif

http://www.topgolfusa.com/Locations/US/Dallas/About/Games.aspx

And you can play an online version of the game to get a better idea of how it works:

http://www.topgolfthegame.com/

Back
Top Bottom