• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Here it is, published this morning.

I held a 1911 up to my shoulder and fired it. Is it now an Sbr? I held a rifle up to my hip to fire it. Is it now a belt??

What you do with something doesn’t change the definition of that thing.
I agree with you...I wish that there was a different way to go about this but in essence, dude's not wrong. This "brace" was only ever a very thinly veiled middle finger to the ATF. And while I agree wholeheartedly with the idea behind "abolish the ATF," it is the law of the land at the moment...and "the brace" was a pretty flagrant way of skirting by the letter of the law. It was only a matter of time until this happened.

I do wish there was a way of saying that "braces" were being reclassified as "stocks" rather than saying that a "rifle" becomes an "SBR" if you shoulder it with a "brace"...but I understand why they did it that way. Don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Yup, register em or take em apart. Predict you will need to prove you are disabled in a manner that would require the use of a brace.
ATF covered that in their FAQ... Even if disabled will still need the Form 1

80+ year old law, nothing changed except the folks who tried to exploit the grey area who are now finding out that the first brace ruling was intended for the physically disabled. Again, if you fire a pistol from the shoulder it is an SBR, deal with it, nothing changed!!!

The original brace was a true brace. Sure, you could shoulder it but it was right up in your face.

Then the ATF started letting things that were definitely stocks-with-Velcro be sold as a 'brace' and that's where the 'grey area' came in.

That being said, the new rule is ridiculous and I can't see it being upheld. It fails on so many levels that I'm betting it will be walked back within a month.

And BTW, the ATF even admitted that where you fire a gun from doesn't 'remake' it into an SBR. That opinion was sheer idiocy and was rescinded pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom