• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help needed for Florida Keys vacation

Looking at a vacation in the Keys. Any information you can share would be helpful if you have done the Keys before. How to get there, Where to stay, What to do, etc.....

Hit 95 turn South... FN' Awesome Stop at Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada... Enjoy the old bar. Check out the pictures on the wall!

Do your research, remember Irma did a good job on all the lower Islands, most of the islands between Marathon and Key West are still wrecked, Stop by Harry Harris Park in Tavernier and say Hi.

The only thing I will add, was briefly mentioned on the first page.

The Keys are not beaches. When you see the pictures of Florida white sand beaches miles long, that's the complete opposite of The Keys. Most of the neighborhoods are on canals. Paved streets and canals. Most houses are on a waterway with a dock in the back. Rock walls are the border on the ocean, not sand.

As far as fishing goes, there is no better trip. However, that's what the keys are for. Take your boat or skis and every morning you walk out back and take off for the day. Its not the family beach vacation in your head.

Just a disclaimer.

My opinion; If you want to do the quiet mile long white beaches, go do the gulf coast. You can do Destin from Atlanta, or jump on a plane to Ft Myers down south. Gulf coast anywhere from Tampa to Ft Myers will be nice beaches.

So the neighborhoods look something like this. Paved road and normal driveway on the front of the house, this is the back

5977910d86477.image.jpg

I used to go down every summer when I lived in Florida (grew up there). It's been many years though. We usually went with a group and rented a house somewhere on Big Pine Key, Little Torch, Summerland, Cudjoe Key area. It's south of Marathon and nice and quiet. Easy day trip to Key West (which you have to do). I don't know what the situation is down there now but I know they had some changes in how rentals are handled. The locals were getting tired of party houses next to them every weekend.

Honestly not a lot to do down there but relax (other then Key West), and it is great for that. Having or renting a boat is a must. That's all we did was go out fishing and diving every day. Kick back and have a few cold ones in the evening. Some quaint bars and restaurants here and there as well.

Like mentioned, there are little to no beaches.

Back
Top Bottom