• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help Blueing

Chuck up a fairly soft wire brush in your drill. Put on your safety goggles and brush off the old finish. Though I haven't stripped a Mossberg finish I'm thinking a stainless steel chore boy scrubber should also work if done by hand. I have used the core boy pot scrubbers with oil on different guns many times. The brushed finish is not as bright as a polished finish. Aluminum wont rust and is fairly corrosion resistant. wipe it down with gun oil and call it good. I've done the receiver, barrel band and butt plate on a Ruger 10/22 and I really like the finish a lot. here's a pic. The barrel was done with a Hoppes gun blue kit which is a rust blue process and still looks good a decade later.
i176.photobucket.com_albums_w188_bighonkinjeep_doggypics001_1_zpsa84f1ac6.jpg

Last edited:
also any safe way to do casehardening I have seen some things on youtube but not too sure I want my gun barrel neon blue any help would be appreciated

Short answer... No. (If ^^^ this is a question)

It took me months to get good color and results from my furnace and crucibles. A decade and a half later... I still have lots to learn

DSCN7756.jpgDSCN7759.jpgDSCN7760.jpgDSCN7761.jpg Done except for the barrel bluing stripped and refinished the stock and fore end and stripped and polished the reciever the wife don't like it but it isnt her gun lol

Be careful with a sander. Aluminum is very soft and a sander can quickly thin the sanded areas too much in areas where parts fit together and they will never fit right again. This is also true when sanding wood and you have to go very lightly where pieces fit together such as actions and stocks. Yup you guessed it this was a lesson learned the hard way so I figured I'd pass the info on. It's a lot easier to learn from someone elses mistakes.

I guess that's why we learn on beaters.
Oh by the way the Ruger in my pic is an early 5 digit serial # with a walnut stock that I Bubbaed many years ago, rather than taking it to a pro before I realized what it was.

Last edited:
I was careful on the reciever I only used the sander to get started on the stripping did the rest by hand it looks good now that I used the 1500 and some brasso to shine it up

Back
Top Bottom