• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Head case separation

I’m SUPER late to the party but here’s my question...

Did you pull the projectile and replace with new powder and projectile?

IF so, my 100% guess is the primer is a small pistol magnum primer instead of a standard Small Pistol primer.
I only replaced the powder. Same brass, projectile, and primer on the second malfunction

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I only replaced the powder. Same brass, projectile, and primer on the second malfunction

Yep, prob a magnum primer on a max powder load. That primer will add an easy 5k extra pounds of pressure. Add that with a near max charge and that could be the problem.

Yep, prob a magnum primer on a max powder load. That primer will add an easy 5k extra pounds of pressure. Add that with a near max charge and that could be the problem.
Well that sucks. I was hoping tp save those primers since they're made out of unobtatium these days. Probably not worth blowing up a gun though.

Well that sucks. I was hoping tp save those primers since they're made out of unobtatium these days. Probably not worth blowing up a gun though.

have you tried any in a diff pistol? i think either pistol isnt going into battery...mag primers, or 9mm major loads originally.

have you tried any in a diff pistol? i think either pistol isnt going into battery...mag primers, or 9mm major loads originally.
I tried one in my ar9. Case rupture on the first round. I pulled out a handful of those cases last night and measured them. They're over trim length but none exceeded maximum.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The only way to have a case bulge like that would be the gun went off with the round not fully seated in the barrel. Your out of battery either due to damage to the gun or the cases are too wide at the bullet. Is it Possible the bullets are larger than standard, have you measured the mouth of the cases and bullets?

The only way to have a case bulge like that would be the gun went off with the round not fully seated in the barrel. Your out of battery either due to damage to the gun or the cases are too wide at the bullet. Is it Possible the bullets are larger than standard, have you measured the mouth of the cases and bullets?
That sir, is something that didn't cross my mind. I weighed them, 115 gr. But didn't measure them. When we get home from dinner I'll be checking that and replying.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The bullets are fine. I'm getting .353 on specs of .355. However I do have a few of t the bad reloads that got missed when I was pulling bullets. There's a definite case bulge on some of them. Not more that a few 100ths, and inside .380 at the broadest, but still, not how they should be.
526380db6f4248ea04804ab52ec79ce1.jpg
7c0409ee291fad4eae89a31f3b5ed859.jpg

Back
Top Bottom