• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Harley starter engages but won't turn engine?

Checked all connections and no corrosion or loose wires. Pulled the starter and I can spin it by hand both directions. Looks like Ken Ford was on the right track, worn starter clutch.

Now if I could just find a Indy open on Sunday who has a new starter. Or a freaking kick starter!

Even a new battery needs charged, no matter what the package says.

This 100% true. New batteries are only charged 50% and that is done on a quick charge. Any time you buy a new battery, whether it is for your car, scooter, lawn mower or whatever. Charge it up to full capacity slowly. The slower, the better. That is what puts the cranking amps in it. If your charger has multi amp selections such as 2 amp, 10 amp etc. put it on the 2. Fast charging causes the electrolyte to separate from the plates and slow charging also allows the plates to equalize.
Said all that to say this. Just yesterday a fellow brought his scooter to me. Said it won't crank. Asked me to put a new starter on it. 2006 Heritage Soft Tail. I hit the starter and it engaged but would not turn the engine over. I charged it up at 2 amps for 8 hours and tested the battery. Tested out good. Put it back in, hit start about 20 times and it was running within 1 revolution every time. Called the owner and told him his scooter was ready. Put it back on slow charge until he came picked it up. I could have made a bunch of money off him but that's not my style.

Well things just keep getting worse.
Fully charged new battery and new complete starter. Still will not turn over. Even tried to straight wire the starter using jumper cables to the bike battery and tried a car battery too. The starter bendix engages but doesn't have enough power to turn the motor. Tried to jump it off with a running car and same thing, bendix engages the transmission gear but doesn't have enough power to turn it over. I can push it in 2nd gear and the transmission and crankshaft both turn so it's not seized. I push started it fine twice after it died and it ran fine.

I'm so sick of the damn thing I'm about ready to list it as-is on craigslist for $3000 and let someone with more time deal with it. Surely a 2004 Sportster 1200 Custom with less than 20k on it would bring that even with the starting troubles since it does push start?

Ken Ford had a good point about the starter clutches. I am not sure if the 2004 sporty has one or not. I know the big twins still had them in the late 90's.
Usually when the starter clutch starts going out or goes out the starter will spin but will make a noise like something is slipping because it is. Sometimes it will sound like something is going to fly apart.
The starter clutch is inside the starter drive in the inner primary. You have to drain the primary and open it up. If these symptoms sound familiar that is probably your problem.

It seems odd though because leaving the switch on shouldn't affect the starter clutch. ( if your. 04 has it) but coincidence prevails.

Edited to add: let us know and keep us updated.

Check the terminals on the battery make sure that one there is a good connection and two that the order is correct. My xr 1200 had to have one of the two wires that runs to the positive touching the terminal the other it did not matter. that messed with me every time I changed something finally notice one was more important to get the juice.

Did that year Sporty have a solenoid starter relay? It could be stuck in the open position. Check your grounds too. The electricity has to have a way to get back to the battery after you're done with it. A bad ground connection will limit your current as much as a bad positive lead.

Back
Top Bottom