• Neither!!

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

AK74U

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
89   1
Reaction score
A friend of mine's neighbor is selling a big block Chevy 454. I'm looking to rebuild it and put it in an old sports car (Chevy Monte Carlo). I've seen some turnkey engines online for about $5k+. Anyone thinks I should fork over $650 for the 454 and go through the road of rebuilding and spend $6k+ or just spend the money on a turnkey setup? I'm looking to make about 450BHP and not looking to race, but to have a nice street machine. I called Scott's in Fayetteville and they do great work from the responses here. Anyone else know who can do total rebuilds in the Metro Atlanta area? Thanks GearHeads!

Truck 454 or car 454
i believe the compression ratios are not the same. Most 70s all had the same heads. You can push a lot of power out of the. Plus’s you can bore these things out like crazy

Yeah, I agree. But, starting at $6k is a nice piece of change. I'm not into putting top tier parts into it if I dont have to have them. I would always go better out of good, better, best in tiers. Also, I dont want to have to go back and forth to the shop getting it pieced together.
Turn key is great, BUT, when you have it done to what you want, makes it all better. CHOICES!

I think it came out of a Suburban. Cant tell you the year.

Also it would be nice to source a 454 in the same year. My buddy had a Monte with a big block

Truck 454 or car 454
i believe the compression ratios are not the same. Most 70s all had the same heads. You can push a lot of power out of the. Plus’s you can bore these things out like crazy

Back
Top Bottom