• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Harley starter engages but won't turn engine?

lostgeorge75

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
2004 Sportster 1200
Switch was left on for a week and killed the battery and trickle charger. Put a new charged battery and rode yesterday. Then it wouldn't start so i had to push start it. When I hit the start and you can hear the starter spinning but the motor isn't moving. I opened the engine side case. The bendix engages the clutch ring gear but won't turn engine. When you let go of the start button the Bendix gear disengages the clutch ring and the bendix briefly spins to a stop. It's like the starter motor isn't getting enough juice or has enough torque to turn the motor.

Bendix gear and clutch gear look fine. The motor is not froze up, I push started it twice yesterday and it ran fine. Just replaced the battery with a new fully charged battery so it's not that. I've got the manual but was confused on the Voltage Drop Test.

Any ideas???

put a voltmeter across the battery terminals, should be 12.7 or so volts DC . If it isn't you need to try to charge it.
Then check the voltage when the starter is turning, if I remember correctly it has to be at least 10. something when cranking.

2004 Sportster 1200
Switch was left on for a week and killed the battery and trickle charger. Put a new charged battery and rode yesterday. Then it wouldn't start so i had to push start it. When I hit the start and you can hear the starter spinning but the motor isn't moving. I opened the engine side case. The bendix engages the clutch ring gear but won't turn engine. When you let go of the start button the Bendix gear disengages the clutch ring and the bendix briefly spins to a stop. It's like the starter motor isn't getting enough juice or has enough torque to turn the motor.

Bendix gear and clutch gear look fine. The motor is not froze up, I push started it twice yesterday and it ran fine. Just replaced the battery with a new fully charged battery so it's not that. I've got the manual but was confused on the Voltage Drop Test.

Any ideas???
replace the battery. it takes a lot of cranking amps to fully engage the starter into the ring gear..sulfucation of the battery causes the plates to corrode from the bottom up over a period of time it will read voltage but have no cranking amps..Harley Batteries only last 3 years not the five they claim

Got 14 years out of a stock Harley battery. I use a battery tender and it obviously makes a difference.
(But I agree, it's the battery, maybe not enough cold cranking amps?)

Got 14 years out of a stock Harley battery. I use a battery tender and it obviously makes a difference.
(But I agree, it's the battery, maybe not enough cold cranking amps?)
14 years...damn did you even ride it! LOL I guess im tuff on my bikes..cant get 3 out of a battery cant get more than 5k out of tires properly inflated by the way..i know that every bike has differing issues but this was common on the dyna and softies too..but i would ride 10-15k a year too

Yea I rode it and still do.
Even shook it up good riding through the National Forest on 4 wheel drive roads a couple of times.
(I've lost a lot of batteries because of rough roads.)

It it the longest I've ever gotten off a battery in any bike I've ever owned. I figured it was the battery tender, since I never had one before.....?????

Right or wrong I gave the battery tender the credit for its lifespan.

Replaced thr battery and trickle charged over night. No luck. I even tried a 600 amp car battery.

My son was showing the bike to his friends and left the switch on in the run position. It sat a week like that and killed the battery and my trickle charger. I'm starting to wonder if this damaged the starter?

Make sure all your cable connections are tight and that the cables are good. Also check ground and all fuses as well.

Back
Top Bottom