• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Harley starter engages but won't turn engine?

Might be a long shot (not that familiar with Harleys, but know vehicle electrical systems pretty well), but my first instinct given the description would be to check the primary cable to the starter. If there are 3 wires going to the starter, or even two wires if the starter is self-grounding, go for the biggest wire. Generally, one wire goes to the solenoid, and one goes to the coil on the starter. If it has a fusible link in it, check that. Check continuity and/or resistance on that big wire. If the solenoid engages but the motor doesn't turn, the starter cannot be getting full voltage/amperage, especially given that the starter is new.

Hope that helps...man, I hate freakin' electrical gremlins.

Not the starter clutch. It's built into the Sportster starter and I replaced the old starter with a brand new one.

Ok. Like I said, I wasn't sure about the sporster. Without being able to have it in front of me, the only other things I can think of is',,,,,,either the electrical connections, wiring itself, solenoid. Several others have mentioned these things. You said you already checked all electrical connections. Did you loosen them up, clean them with a wire brush of any corrosion build up? A tight connection doesn't always mean it is a good connection.

I just tightened them, didn't remove and clean them up. Maybe something just doesn't have the best connection? I give up though and listed it for sale for $3500. That's a grand less than I paid and the cheapest 2004 1200c for sale so hopefully it will sell fast. I'm sick of fighting with it.

Spoke to a mechanic who said the engine and tranny are fine if I can push start it. So I guess something electrical.

Yeah it's going to be electrical most likely. You said the starter bendix is spinning and engaging into the flywheel but just won't turn the engine over right?

Yes. The starter is getting enough juice to engage transmission ring gear but not got enough to rotate the engine. But I can put the bike in 2nd gear and push it to rotate the engine so it can't be that hard.

Just listed it for $3500 on here. I'm so sick of trying to figure it out!

Try touching the jumper cable from a good car battery to where the main wire goes to the starter

Sounds like your relay is working fine but not getting power on the big wire

I think he tried that already.
I mean ON the starter
Not at the battery

That's the only explanation if the starter bench tests ok
With a jumper cable

He needs to hit the jumper cable to the big lug on the starter while it's on the bike

If it sti doesn't turn over then it would seem to be possibly a bad ground between the starter motor and engine block
Which can be tested by putting the ground jumper cable on the starter itself instead of the frame

And if it still won't work then it's probably some issue with the teeth on the flywheel or whatever method Charlie's use to turn over the engine

He said he tried "straight wiring the starter using another bike battery and a car battery" so I am assuming he connected them to the starter instead of the battery?

Edited to add: I wish I could have his bike in front of me to check and repair. Sometimes it's hard to diagnose something when you can't put eyes/hands on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom