• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hand to Hand Krav Maga

chitownpolish

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
19   0
Reaction score
does anyone know of a martial arts place no more than 30 min from white county that teaches something other than American Karate? Looking for something interesting like Krav Maga.

Coffey BJJ in Cartersville. They have gi and no gi BJJ and Chip is an awesome instructor. I had to take some time off but am going back in Feb. They used to offer Muay Thai as well but are not currently offering it. If you haven't tried Jiu Jitsu yet, go in and take a couple classes for free. Try both Gi and no-Gi, they should have a GI to loan you and for no-Gi just wear a pair of board shorts and tshirt that you dont mind getting stretched. I believe the site is coffeybjj.com and it has their schedule.

I have or had a book on Krav. I really like it. Only studied Akikado officially but wouldn't mind learn Krav for practical defense.

I trained in Krav Maga for a couple of years, before I moved here. The Cumming studio is only about 5 minutes from me, but I have yet to stop in.

Some things to remember about Krav Maga, IMHO:

1. It is less of a martial art, and more of a combat system.
2. It is more geared to defending against multiple attackers than most martial arts.
3. It teaches to disable attackers as quickly and painfully as possible, maximizing damage. Because of this, there are no such things as competitions or tournaments.
4. Higher levels of instruction do include firearms and edged weapons.

I should start taking formal instruction again. It was a blast and really keeps me in great shape.

I practiced Krav for years, very practical in general. Focuses on very simple basic response. I live in Ellijay and only get to train when I go back to FL now. I have noticed with Krav's growing popularity I've seen it getting watered down and seen people selling Krav that's not really Krav. There's a real high level BJJ school here in Ellijay where I go once in a while and train off the clock in Krav/Jeet Kune Do. There's a fellow there quite stilled. Wed we spent a few hours on weapon retention that I found very beneficial.

thanks guys. I am looking for something to help me stay in shape and to defend myself. I have always felt if I need to defend myself I want it to end as soon as possible. I have never met anyone with belts who could really defend themselves in a real life situation.

Back
Top Bottom