• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

hand held radio novice

I have been a ham since I was 12. I have several expensive hand held radios (Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom) but I usually leave them home and take a $25 Baofeng when I am outside. If i drop it, it is stolen out of my car, or if I lose it I can easily replace it. It works as well as the expensive radios but just doesn't have all the features of the name brand radios. I never use most of the special features anyway. If I am out in the woods I usually keep it in a Ziplock bag in case it rains.

Currently the Taliban has used basic b*tch Motorola FRS handheld radios to defeat the the largest two Empires on the planet in the most treacherous terrain on the planet.

Please tell us more how they have far superior coms. I needs me some education.

You must have some valuable insights from fighting or being in Afg your able to share with us all.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your radios can be programmed for GMRS frequencies, also (General Mobile Radio Service). Similar to ham, but limited frequencies. Just walkie-talkies, no communicating across the country or around the world. No exam required, a $75 license covers your entire immediate family. If you join a repeater group, https://nggmrs.org/, you can extend the communication range from close range to miles. There are FCC rules to follow (and repeater rules), but it's not hard. The repeater groups have a membership fee because they spend thousands of dollars and countless hours of sweat equity buying and maintaining the equipment and running the group. It's all volunteer work . . . there's no profit in it for them.

Back
Top Bottom