• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Help with a Digital DMR/Analog UHF/VHF Radio

Burdy

Default rank 5000+ posts
ODT Co-Founder
Forum Owner
260   0
Reaction score
Just bought one of these things and I can't find any conversation anywhere. Mainly interested in listening in to local fire/police. I believe the one I bought will be capable of most anything but I am lost as last years Easter egg. I know nothing. If anyone can get me up and running, please let me know. Thanks.

Just bought one of these things and I can't find any conversation anywhere. Mainly interested in listening in to local fire/police. I believe the one I bought will be capable of most anything but I am lost as last years Easter egg. I know nothing. If anyone can get me up and running, please let me know. Thanks.

What radio? The database at RadioReference.com is a good place to find the local fire/police frequency. Depending on the radio and what they're using you may not be able to listen.

All fire and law enforcement in Georgia that I am familiar with have gone to digital radios and all are encrypted. Not much available for public safety in "clear talk" anymore. Nearly all radios are going digital and encryption is built in to many systems for no extra cost. The days of the scanner are about gone unless you are looking for ham and similar bands.

All fire and law enforcement in Georgia that I am familiar with have gone to digital radios and all are encrypted. Not much available for public safety in "clear talk" anymore. Nearly all radios are going digital and encryption is built in to many systems for no extra cost. The days of the scanner are about gone unless you are looking for ham and similar bands.
Again, excuse my ignorance, but this one is digital capable I guess (Digital DMR). I was browsing about plug-ins and jailbreaks and such for these radios. Is it not possible to listen to encrypted digital if I knew what the hell I was doing?

Many are digital, but not all are encrypted. Lots to listen to out there with the right gear.

Again, excuse my ignorance, but this one is digital capable I guess (Digital DMR). I was browsing about plug-ins and jailbreaks and such for these radios. Is it not possible to listen to encrypted digital if I knew what the hell I was doing?

Digital DMR and "digital encrypted" are not the same thing. Many departments are on trunked digital systems, but not all. The more rural you are, the bigger chance that you still have analog channels in use.

Digital DMR and "digital encrypted" are not the same thing. Many departments are on trunked digital systems, but not all. The more rural you are, the bigger chance that you still have analog channels in use.
Floyd is on trunked according to that website. I am assuming that means I am SOL? Gordon however, shows the frequencies but I get nothing. Is this a range issue?

When talking about breaking radio encryption think; lots of money, govt black bag equipment and possibly jail under Georgia computer crimes statutes.

Back
Top Bottom