• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ham radio for dummies

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
Speaking for myself here. I'm venturing into the world of ham radio. I was curious if anyone in Henry Co on the ODT was into ham. I'm a little overwhelmed by ham. Is there a local public setting where someone operates a ham? Or is ham mostly conducted out of your residence? Im more interested in meeting with someone who does this so I can see exactly how it works...If that's possible. I've been shopping radios but I don't know enough to make an educated purchase. I'm aware you need a license to transmit. Is there such a thing as a ham mentorship?

I’m a light user at best. We have used 2m and 70cm a lot for communications when out in the woods where cell phones do not work. I have been wanting to get more into HF, but have not had the time.

I will say that I am considering ditching my HT and picking up a satellite communicator for when we are in remote areas.

Best to google your area, find a local club. Go to some meetings. Get to know some people. People will let you know the tips and tricks. You can take the test to you get call sign. To start out I would get a baofang, just cause it cheaps and will get you started on 2m.

Good luck!

I agree with above posts. Contact your local ham club. Prove that you are interested and they will overwhelm you with help. There are also lots of resources on the web. Hamstudy.org is a great, free study tool. Buy a cheap radio(Baofeng- $25) or a scanner and start listening to the 2 meter repeater in your area. Listening to the other guys is very helpful. Ham radio can be a lot of things - from talking across town to the other side of the world. There’s something for everybody but getting licensed is not easy. Good luck & PM me if I can help.

Back
Top Bottom