• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ham radio for dummies

I would like to get into a basic set up myself.
Arent HAM radios the ones you can talk long distance? Around the world? Or am i yhinking of something else?

Key words are “was into” . I got my novice license (KC4VTQ) back when you were required to learn Morse code to get it, and I hated spelling it out. Had a Yaesu FT101E that I spent a bit of time puttering around in the 10 meter band, mostly.

I’ve thought about getting back into it, but 99% of the reason would be local 2 meter band stuff.

I would like to get into a basic set up myself.
Arent HAM radios the ones you can talk long distance? Around the world? Or am i yhinking of something else?
Mainly for long distances of up to like 30-50 miles(also depends on terrain) I think, around the world you might be thinking of a satellite ahaha

Mainly for long distances of up to like 30-50 miles(also depends on terrain) I think, around the world you might be thinking of a satellite ahaha
Maybe it is shortwave ? Its not satellite.....back in the 80’s one of the neighbors used to talk to folks in Japan, the Philippines, Vietnam, etc.,
It was a cool set up. His mast was in the top if a huge pine tree and it was a good 40-50 feet above that. With guy wires and all to hold it up.
I will look it up and see which system he had that i am thinking of

Don’t know the requirements, but you can absolutely talk thousands of miles with the right set-up and antenna. In the .5-30 MHz band. Easy using Morse code.

Back
Top Bottom