• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HAM Heads

Quacker

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
65   0
Reaction score
I have a growing interest in amateur radio. is there a thread already going on this? It seems to go hand in hand with prepping and, generally, being prepared. Seems like it would be a good idea for a sticky in one of these topics so we can all start networking early.... I know there are other forums out there like that, just speaking ODTers at the moment.

With that being said, can anyone point me in the direction of a good YT channel or website for literature/content at the beginner/novice level? I know enough to be dangerous but I’m at the point of information overload currently and was hoping for a walkthrough before purchasing equipment and getting my technician license.

You can geek out on this fast!

I have a growing interest in amateur radio. is there a thread already going on this? It seems to go hand in hand with prepping and, generally, being prepared. Seems like it would be a good idea for a sticky in one of these topics so we can all start networking early.... I know there are other forums out there like that, just speaking ODTers at the moment.

With that being said, can anyone point me in the direction of a good YT channel or website for literature/content at the beginner/novice level? I know enough to be dangerous but I’m at the point of information overload currently and was hoping for a walkthrough before purchasing equipment and getting my technician license.

You can geek out on this fast!

Start here:
http://www.arrl.org

I used Hamstudy.org and just got my technician license. Very well put together study guide. If you already know basic electrical theory this will be a good choice. Although there are online testing sessions being held, I found it very difficult to find an opening. I found the local ham club and took the test at their monthly session. I’ve been interested in this for years and now there is no Morse code requirement, so it was time. I would recommend buying either a cheap 2 meter radio(144MHz) or a scanner and begin listening to local repeaters. You will learn a lot from hearing active hams in conversation. A Baofeng radio is around $30 on Amazon.

I used Hamstudy.org and just got my technician license. Very well put together study guide. If you already know basic electrical theory this will be a good choice. Although there are online testing sessions being held, I found it very difficult to find an opening. I found the local ham club and took the test at their monthly session. I’ve been interested in this for years and now there is no Morse code requirement, so it was time. I would recommend buying either a cheap 2 meter radio(144MHz) or a scanner and begin listening to local repeaters. You will learn a lot from hearing active hams in conversation. A Baofeng radio is around $30 on Amazon.

I did end up getting 2 UV-5Rs on Amazon. One for me and one for the wife. Of course, i will only listen and not transmit until i get my license. I did find a local-ish club that still does testing. I plan to get my technicians license at the end of July. I am starting to get interested in the 40M band but it seems that takes a huge jump in hardware requirements as far as $$$.

I'll check out hamstudy for sure. I have found some good resources between my OP and now. I think I am getting a better understanding.

How is that Baofeng treating you? What kind of distance are you getting so far? Are there any 2M repeaters near you?

Congrats on the new rigs. I wound up getting a good deal on a Yaesu so I didn’t buy the Baofeng. Some of the guys in the local club use them and sound great through the repeater. I plan to get one soon to use as a backup. You can’t beat the price. One thing I really liked about HamStudy.org is it keeps up with your practice test scores, so you can trend your competency’s. There are a few repeaters within 25 miles of me. 2 meter repeaters are pretty quiet except for the evenings and weekly Nets. I’ve been mostly interested in 10 & 6 meter bands lately. Both have been wide open for the past few weeks. I’m in the market for an HF rig also so I can try out DX. Good luck on your studies & testing.

Back
Top Bottom