• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Guns and calibers for the day after SHTF...

I would say anything that the police/nato carry. 9MM,40S&W,.223 and 5.56. Any AR-15 platform, and Glocks. Ammo will be readily available in a SHTF situation.

silverblazer50, I am not disagreeing or trying to say you're wrong, but I would like to understand your thought process better.
I would that think in most any SHTF situation the first thing to be cleaned out through purchase or theft would be guns & ammo... plus whomever was holding stores of ammo would be defending it to the death or joining up with like minded friends, family, neighbors, etc. to better protect against the loss of any life sustaining survival items.
Not to mention possible gov't intervention/ martial law at local, state, or federal level regardless of Constitution.
I would like to hear your thoughts cause you might be looking at things from an angle I haven't thought of.

Glock 19 and my 5.56 AR-15. Keep it easy, no need to haul several calibers, different magazines, etc, etc. 9mm and .223 are the two most popular centerfire calibers made in the United States. If I had the time, maybe I'd throw in the .22 conversion kit for the Glock, but that's about it.

I contend that you need to standardize as much as possible, I stick to ,
(a) 12 ga.,cheap, easy to find/ scrounge and reload,amass a large quantity
(B) .223 ,easy to find/scrounge and reload,amass a large quantity
(C) I prefer a 357 revolver , you can go 357 or 38, again easy to find/scrounge and reload
(D) 30-30 for hunting etc. cheap,easy to find/scrounge and reload,amass a large quantity
(E) .45 ,easy to find/scrounge and reload,amass a large quantity
I also am set up to reload this ammo with a good supply

Haven't seen much 7.62x39 mentioned which is suprising with so much of it floating around.
Doesn't have the long reach/punch of X51, but it's lighter as is the gun. I haven't decided what rifle and pistol would be best, but the 39 would be worth considering.

Haven't seen much 7.62x39 mentioned which is suprising with so much of it floating around.
Doesn't have the long reach/punch of X51, but it's lighter as is the gun. I haven't decided what rifle and pistol would be best, but the 39 would be worth considering.

While the 39 is available now, there is not a large capacity to produce it domestically. Outside of what comes in from Russia, it's a specialized bullet that is not commonly made. The 5.56/.223 on the other hand is made by everyone and their brother, along with being imported. Just something to consider in a SHTF situation.

I little while back, I consolidated calibers. Not so much for the SHTF, but just to keep logistics simple. I'm now down to .38/.357, .22lr, 12ga, and .30-06.

If I had to BO, it would depend on how (foot, car, etc) and who was going with me.

Me only: Marlin 1894 and S&W .357
Me +1: Same, add another S&W .357 and a .30-06
More: Add .22 rifle and perhaps another caliber pistol (9mm, .45 or 40)

I feel the .22lr, .38/.357 and .30-06 are the most common rounds in the US (any gas station, any abandoned house/car)
Might find as much in .223, 30/30 or 9mm, but I'd not want to bet on it.
I don't know that I'd take a 12ga, as the weight wouldn't be worth it over the S&W revolver
A reloading kit would be nice, too.

I'm late on joining the conversation but have recently be re-purchasing weapons due to local bad guys helping themselves to what I had previously acquired. This did at least give me the chance to use insurance money to buy after consideration rather than as the whim struck. Right now I've got:

10/22 as ammo is plentiful, cheap and lightweight. And other than a firefight it's probably the most useful to have
.308 AR style for the heavy duty or long range work
Beretta PX4 in .40 for substantial sidearm work
Beretta CX4 Storm for pistol/carbine compatibility (don't have it yet but if the SHTF doesn't happen for a bit I'll have it)
12 ga. for utility and hunting work

Assuming I have the ability to bug out in a vehicle.

Another pistol I've been considering is the Kel-Tec PMR 30 if I can find one. A pistol packing 30 rounds of .22 WMR is definitely a nice addition.

Back
Top Bottom