• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock 42 First Shots Review

Spoke to CS rep at GTD this afternoon. G42 backordered for months and couldn't give me approx. ETA.
$319 for LEO, some gobment employees, and military/retiree's. All other's $399.
According to site you can order up to 2 each.
I'm joining GSSF but can't buy at discounts for at least a year is what I understand.
Anyone know of another supplier out there??

Spoke to CS rep at GTD this afternoon. G42 backordered for months and couldn't give me approx. ETA.
$319 for LEO, some gobment employees, and military/retiree's. All other's $399.
According to site you can order up to 2 each.
I'm joining GSSF but can't buy at discounts for at least a year is what I understand.
Anyone know of another supplier out there??
If you join with a 2 year membership or greater you get your purchase coupon right away...

Glock has pretty much said that this frame will get new calibers eventually, so look for a future 9mm package in this same size.

I am still really stoked about the 380 once some threaded barrels exist for it.

I can dream of this in a 10mm right? Lol.

They make tiny 357 revolvers, so i dont see why no ome makes powerful pocket autos

As many of you know I have been a full-time Instructor at my school for several years now. As such I have been able to watch many different guns come through our classes.
For over 20 years I have been a loyal user of Glocks & have 6 of them for personal use & as loaners to students when their guns go down so they can finish their class.

Part of my job is to stay on top of what is available so when I heard of the new Glock 42 I had to round one up & try it out. Last week I picked one up & took it out briefly today & test-fired 5 rds. through it.

The Glocks with double recoil springs are known to be soft shooters but this one surprised me. There was almost no felt recoil at all. I was so distracted I even pulled a shot or two (at least thats my story...). Sure it's a little bit bigger than the other popular .380's & weighs a little bit more but wow, the ladies are going to love shooting this one.
It's actually fun to shoot.

The .380's on our range are some of the hardest recoiling carry guns we see. It's simple physics. A very lightweight gun combined with a very small grip area to distribute felt recoil feels like it kicks harder.
Some ladies just will not carry a .38 sized gun or larger & think they want an LCP, Bodyguard, or similar sized pocket .380... until they put a few rounds through it.
Countless times they turn to me after firing them & say, "Ow, that hurt!". Many times they have simply handed it to me & said they didn't like it & their quest to find the right pistol for them begins anew.

I have always referred to the G-19 as the "Goldilocks" gun since it was such a great compromise & fit so many people well.

As much as I prefer students choose something larger & more potent I have to agree with J. Cooper when he advised people to "carry the largest gun they WILL carry & that they can shoot well". A .380 may be on the light side but it is still better than harsh words or a sharp stick. While I personally want something with greater terminal wounding capability I doubt many people would relish getting shot a few times with the .380.

Another aspect that will be in the favor of the G-42 is ease of which a shooter can empty 6 or 7 shots FAST into a target (or threat).

At Glocks Instructor workshop they have a drill they refer to as "5 in the sky" where the goal is to shoot 5 rounds before the first casing hits the floor. A good shooter can have split times (time between shots) of .17-.25 or in otherwords can fire 4 to 5 shots in a second. This is a tough drill with the long triggers of the other .380's whereas the G-42 with its better trigger w/ a short crisp reset should enable a shooter with good trigger control to do a "mag dump" blazingly quick which would be a great help in a desperate defensive situation to maximize the wounding capabilities of the weaker .380 round.

The horrendous triggers have always been one of the most challenging aspects of the other most popular .380's besides the recoil issue.

Over the years it has become more & more evident to me while watching new & more experienced shooters how absolutely critical a good trigger is.
After all it is the main interface between the shooter & the platform. There is a reason why target shooters prefer light crisp triggers... they're easier to hit with.
Obviously for a defensive gun a compromise has to be reached & for me my preference is a 4 to 5 lb. trigger w/ minimal take-up & aftertravel.

I get frustrated so often watching ladies really struggle with the long, stiff triggers on the LCP (Gen.1) & S&W Bodyguard though the newer LCP's are much improved in that dept. though the recoil issue is still an issue. There have even been a few times when some ladies literally lacked the finger strength to press it ONE TIME all the way through.

I'm eager to get the second one I have on order so that I can have two of them available as class loaners along with the LCR's, M&P's, & G-19's that are so popular.

Using the feedback that I've gotten from so many Ladies classes over the years & watching their choice of firearm AFTER testing several of our class loaners I'm going to predict that the Glock 42 .380 will become the top selling defensive firearm to Ladies in America (and possibly men as well due to its ease of carry.)

Attachments

• IMAG1798-1.jpg
    IMAG1798-1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
As many of you know I have been a full-time Instructor at my school for several years now. As such I have been able to watch many different guns come through our classes.
For over 20 years I have been a loyal user of Glocks & have 6 of them for personal use & as loaners to students when their guns go down so they can finish their class.

Part of my job is to stay on top of what is available so when I heard of the new Glock 42 I had to round one up & try it out. Last week I picked one up & took it out briefly today & test-fired 5 rds. through it.

The Glocks with double recoil springs are known to be soft shooters but this one surprised me. There was almost no felt recoil at all. I was so distracted I even pulled a shot or two (at least thats my story...). Sure it's a little bit bigger than the other popular .380's & weighs a little bit more but wow, the ladies are going to love shooting this one.
It's actually fun to shoot.

The .380's on our range are some of the hardest recoiling carry guns we see. It's simple physics. A very lightweight gun combined with a very small grip area to distribute felt recoil feels like it kicks harder.
Some ladies just will not carry a .38 sized gun or larger & think they want an LCP, Bodyguard, or similar sized pocket .380... until they put a few rounds through it.
Countless times they turn to me after firing them & say, "Ow, that hurt!". Many times they have simply handed it to me & said they didn't like it & their quest to find the right pistol for them begins anew.

I have always referred to the G-19 as the "Goldilocks" gun since it was such a great compromise & fit so many people well.

As much as I prefer students choose something larger & more potent I have to agree with J. Cooper when he advised people to "carry the largest gun they WILL carry & that they can shoot well". A .380 may be on the light side but it is still better than harsh words or a sharp stick. While I personally want something with greater terminal wounding capability I doubt many people would relish getting shot a few times with the .380.

Another aspect that will be in the favor of the G-42 is ease of which a shooter can empty 6 or 7 shots FAST into a target (or threat).

At Glocks Instructor workshop they have a drill they refer to as "5 in the sky" where the goal is to shoot 5 rounds before the first casing hits the floor. A good shooter can have split times (time between shots) of .17-.25 or in otherwords can fire 4 to 5 shots in a second. This is a tough drill with the long triggers of the other .380's whereas the G-42 with its better trigger w/ a short crisp reset should enable a shooter with good trigger control to do a "mag dump" blazingly quick which would be a great help in a desperate defensive situation to maximize the wounding capabilities of the weaker .380 round.

The horrendous triggers have always been one of the most challenging aspects of the other most popular .380's besides the recoil issue.

Over the years it has become more & more evident to me while watching new & more experienced shooters how absolutely critical a good trigger is.
After all it is the main interface between the shooter & the platform. There is a reason why target shooters prefer light crisp triggers... they're easier to hit with.
Obviously for a defensive gun a compromise has to be reached & for me my preference is a 4 to 5 lb. trigger w/ minimal take-up & aftertravel.

I get frustrated so often watching ladies really struggle with the long, stiff triggers on the LCP (Gen.1) & S&W Bodyguard though the newer LCP's are much improved in that dept. though the recoil issue is still an issue. There have even been a few times when some ladies literally lacked the finger strength to press it ONE TIME all the way through.

I'm eager to get the second one I have on order so that I can have two of them available as class loaners along with the LCR's, M&P's, & G-19's that are so popular.

Using the feedback that I've gotten from so many Ladies classes over the years & watching their choice of firearm AFTER testing several of our class loaners I'm going to predict that the Glock 42 .380 will become the top selling defensive firearm to Ladies in America (and possibly men as well due to its ease of carry.)

Thanks for the write up. I certainly respect your opinion. I was curious if you have any experience with the Kahr CW/P380. I actually own one and the main advantage I see that the g42 may have is a shorter, quicker trigger. I'm sure the recoil is softer, but the CW380 is quite manageable to me. It also seems the Kahr is a good bit smaller and lighter, and therefore lends itself to easier pocket carry. The Kahr has been very reliable, and has run 100% with my defensive ammo of choice(Hornady Critical Defense). Your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom