• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock 42 First Shots Review

Thanks for the write up. I certainly respect your opinion. I was curious if you have any experience with the Kahr CW/P380. I actually own one and the main advantage I see that the g42 may have is a shorter, quicker trigger. I'm sure the recoil is softer, but the CW380 is quite manageable to me. It also seems the Kahr is a good bit smaller and lighter, and therefore lends itself to easier pocket carry. The Kahr has been very reliable, and has run 100% with my defensive ammo of choice(Hornady Critical Defense). Your thoughts?

I have more experience with the 9mm Kahrs but have always found them to be a fine platform. I've recommended them many times & had one for a long time as a loaner gun for students.
The only reason I don't recommend the .380 is they can be a little pricey but the CW series is usually more affordable. Sounds like its working fine for you so I don't think I would change just for the sake of change unless you just want to.

Just slipped a innertube over the 42 & fired off a couple mags.

Still amazed by it's low recoil. Sure I wish it was a 9mm but at least it is a concealable .380 that someone sensitive to recoil can shoot w/o fighting the recoil or a long, horrible trigger.

Attachments

• IMAG1810-1.jpg
    IMAG1810-1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I have not held or seen one of these in person. From what I have read the plus side to this gun is trigger (never thought a Glock trigger would be a plus), recoil and size. While I like my J frame a 642 isnt fun to shoot and neither was the PF9's I have owned. I think where this shines is its not the smallest or the biggest caliber but the combo seems like it will work and both will make this a shooter. The fact "combat accuracy" and accurate at "combat distance" werent used to see these are hard as crap to shoot and if you hit the barn its a miracle past 7 yards is another plus.

Put another 50 flawless rounds through the 42 today including this 5 shot 7 yd. group.
Two other shooters were involved. They too had no issues.
I've heard reports that some guns are having feeding issues.

According to one large dealer I've spoken with out of somewhere over 100 to 120 guns they've had around 10-15 either returned or sent back to the factory.

I'm looking forward to having a larger test group to evaluate it vs. older designs.
I am confident they have a real winner here.
It corrects the 3 biggest problems that I see on a regular basis with other .380 designs.

Attachments

• IMAG1831-1.jpg
    IMAG1831-1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 20
Excellent real world information PM. We appreciate you taking the time to document your actual hands on experiences with the 42.

The 42, in my opinion is a nice option between the "pocket carry" sized .380s and the subcompacts. The 42 is really a little too big for most to stick in a pocket but it wasn't meant to be a pocket carry pistol. Its a pistol designed to be as small as Glock could get it and still remain useful , easy to manage (recoil) and reliable to a large number of buyers. Its kind of in a class all its own.

What are the three problems you see with other .380 designs? I'd guess trigger, recoil and sights

Close.

Trigger, both weight & length.

Recoil, so bad in other guns that the shooter often fires one shot & hands it to me & says, "I'm done with this one."

Better size/ placement of controls, the ergos are so "condensed" in size that often people struggle with manipulating
the other guns, especially those with a manual safety, during higher speed/ stressful situations.

One drill we run AFTER the shooter has gotten somewhat familiar with operating their personal gun is to have them load either ONE snapcap... or occasionally (rarely) a live round, then have an Instructor CHARGE them from 5-7 yds, away.

All they have to do is draw or pickup the gun, release the safety, & do one dryfire or fire ONE round at a target 90 degrees away from the "attacker".

Very simple... right?

Most of the time they NEVER even get the safety released... and sometimes can't even get the gun drawn from their carry method.
Their "survival instincts" kick in & their fine motor skills DISAPPEAR.
To my surprise (& pleasure) some shooters "beat the clock" so to speak.

It's a good drill to show the shooetr the speed at which these types of attacks can take place.

It's a real eye opener for many of them.

Last edited:
Close.

Trigger, both weight & length.

Recoil, so bad in other guns that the shooter often fires one shot & hands it to me & says, "I'm done with this one."

Better size/ placement of controls, the ergos are so "condensed" in size that often people struggle with manipulating
the other guns, especially those with a manual safety, during higher speed/ stressful situations.

One drill we run AFTER the shooter has gotten somewhat familiar with operating their personal gun is to have them load either ONE snapcap... or occasionally (rarely) a live round, then have an Instructor CHARGE them from 5-7 yds, away.

All they have to do is draw or pickup the gun, release the safety, & do one dryfire or fire ONE round at a target 90 degrees away from the "attacker".

Very simple... right?

Most of the time they NEVER even get the safety released... and sometimes can't even get the gun drawn from their carry method.
Their "survival instincts" kick in & their fine motor skills DISAPPEAR.
To my surprise (& pleasure) some shooters "beat the clock" so to speak.

It's a good drill to show the shooetr the speed at which these types of attacks can take place.

It's a real eye opener for many of them.

That's a good drill. I'm surprised anyone can get the shot off in that little time.

Back
Top Bottom