• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Get Home Bags...Questions on specs.....Sourcing?

While I hardly consider myself an elite survivalist, a getc home bag is very different than a bug out bag. A bug out bag I'm hitting woods attempting to stay away from people and would probably be more "tactical" in nature although I would take steps to disguise the fact. For a get home bag I want to blend into population without them thinking I know what I'm doing. Don't want "hangers-on" or people that want what I have thinking they should take what I've got. My get home bag is what I need for a day hike and an uncomfortable night out as I'm never more than 40 miles from home for work (mostly much closer) which is 2 days. For this I keep a regular old beat up Jansport that has a waist belt in my trunk along with some hiking clothes and decent boots. All of which are chosen to make me look like any other guy caught short and having to walk home.
Both of my GHB look like book bags you see on school campuses.

Bushwick100 - what scenario is the GHB planned for and what season? I ask because 240 miles on foot is likely to be a 2-3 week travel. A pen water filter won't allow filling the flask and will need a lot more than 30 gallons to make a hot weather trip. If winter, throw in a couple Mylar emergency blankets - multiple uses. I see lots of ways to make fire/cook, but nothing to cook in/eat with. Energy bars and power drink are only going to last so long. An SAS pocket survival guide would be a good add - you can teach and go over things, but unless he is practicing at college, he isn't going to remember all the basics. If the SHTF scenario involves power grid down, then lose the electronics. Think about clothing for walk home. May want to discuss changing items in bag each season. A waterproof map with planned routes is a must for that length of trip. If all goes to hell, I-16 will be good only for so far on the walk home. Need ways to avoid cities of any size. Just my two cents, by no means an expert just an avid reader on the topic. I am also making assumptions on the scenario being prepared for. Salt and pepper are always good to have

Bushwick100 - what scenario is the GHB planned for and what season? I ask because 240 miles on foot is likely to be a 2-3 week travel. A pen water filter won't allow filling the flask and will need a lot more than 30 gallons to make a hot weather trip. If winter, throw in a couple Mylar emergency blankets - multiple uses. I see lots of ways to make fire/cook, but nothing to cook in/eat with. Energy bars and power drink are only going to last so long. An SAS pocket survival guide would be a good add - you can teach and go over things, but unless he is practicing at college, he isn't going to remember all the basics. If the SHTF scenario involves power grid down, then lose the electronics. Think about clothing for walk home. May want to discuss changing items in bag each season. A waterproof map with planned routes is a must for that length of trip. If all goes to hell, I-16 will be good only for so far on the walk home. Need ways to avoid cities of any size. Just my two cents, by no means an expert just an avid reader on the topic. I am also making assumptions on the scenario being prepared for. Salt and pepper are always good to have

Very Good in-puts. Since, I never have done this type of Bag before all the help I can get is good. I have the Mylar Blankets all ready, the things I will now change are the following:
- Change of cloth's depending on Season in Zip Lock bag.
- Map in Plastic with route's to get home.
- Continue Training with Gear
- I'm going to have to look at a better easier Water Purifier, I know they are out there.
The Plan was for the father and the father's friend to jump in his Truck and starting making there way to his son, if his sons truck was down. But, with "MURPHY'S LAW" ANYTHING MAY HAPPEN. So, I will address the food situation with MRE's and other Dyhedrated foods,
- Now, I see why some of these guy's were talking about what type of bag to use, because if this bag gets any bigger this kid will need a Ruck sack!!

Thank you

Very Good in-puts. Since, I never have done this type of Bag before all the help I can get is good. I have the Mylar Blankets all ready, the things I will now change are the following:
- I'm going to have to look at a better easier Water Purifier, I know they are out there.
The Plan was for the father and the father's friend to jump in his Truck and starting making there way to his son, if his sons truck was down. But, with "MURPHY'S LAW" ANYTHING MAY HAPPEN. So, I will address the food situation with MRE's and other Dyhedrated foods,
- Now, I see why some of these guy's were talking about what type of bag to use, because if this bag gets any bigger this kid will need a Ruck sack!!

Thank you

http://angeryamerican.net/content.php/126-Morgan-s-pack and http://angeryamerican.net/content.php/128-Morgan-s-Bag-Part-II , this is a link to an author, Angery American's main character in a book call "Going Home". However, it is the authors actual GHB. Maybe a little over the top for a college student to get home with, but definitely worth reviewing. Also, the Home series is a really good post-EMP apocalyptic series. The GHB is somewhat well thought out from the beginning, but the character soon finds some +/- along the way. He uses an old military ALICE pack.

The Plan ... So, I will address the food situation with MRE's and other Dyhedrated foods,

A couple of "IMO's"
On the water filter, I'd previously questioned the Sawyer inline micro filter. I ended up buying one. It weighs near nothing and can be used or adapted to a number of container types to include inline on a camelback, typical water/coke bottles, adapted to use on a canteen, or with a straw right from the water source.

On the map, in the case of societal breakdown or any level of looting- DO NOT!! mark the destination on the map. If someone gets your kit, you may be sending them uninvited to your destination if you have it marked. Consider it from the view of the person that got your bag trough violence or trickery. They're stealing stuff so they probably don't have a kit other than what they took. Now they have a map from a well equipped victim and the map has a destination marked. They'll quickly work out that if you have this good gear with you, then where you're headed has more better supplies.

You can get some high calorie rations that are compact and have a relatively long storage life. I don't know that I'd leave them in the bag long term, but a few of them strategically placed in each location (desk drawer at work, glove box in the cooler months, in a drawer in the dorm room or apartment)
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/s...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CISo3vvcnc0CFUQjgQodHNcP3w

http://angeryamerican.net/content.php/126-Morgan-s-pack and http://angeryamerican.net/content.php/128-Morgan-s-Bag-Part-II , this is a link to an author, Angery American's main character in a book call "Going Home". However, it is the authors actual GHB. Maybe a little over the top for a college student to get home with, but definitely worth reviewing. Also, the Home series is a really good post-EMP apocalyptic series. The GHB is somewhat well thought out from the beginning, but the character soon finds some +/- along the way. He uses an old military ALICE pack.

Thank You

Back
Top Bottom