• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia weapons license

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
What is covered by the Georgia carry license? Is it just for concealed firearms or would this cover concealing large knives(Bowie) and/or brass knuckles. The reason I ask is, I was at Walmart of all places earlier today and while I was buying a couple of boxes of ammo a fella came by with a large Bowie knife on a shoulder sheath under his jacket. The clerk and I both noticed it, all the guy said is "it's cool, I have a GWL"

I'd really like to hear from some LEO guys on this one.

That which is not explicitly prohibited by a law, is legal. Knife laws have been somewhat vague in the past since I believe there is no state preemption and local laws could be more strict than state. However, I believe any blade over 5 inches is considered a weapon and would be covered by the GWL. **I would have to look this up to verify, but that is the best of my knowledge at the moment.

After checking Gapacking.org, this is what I found:

Knife Preemption Counties, municipalities, and consolidated governments cannot regulate the possession, manufacture, sale, or transfer of a knife or any cutting instrument with a blade, unless it is in regards to a courthouse or government building. (Effective July 1st, 2012, 16-11-136.).

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

That which is not explicitly prohibited by a law, is legal. Knife laws have been somewhat vague in the past since I believe there is no state preemption and local laws could be more strict than state. However, I believe any blade over 5 inches is considered a weapon and would be covered by the GWL. **I would have to look this up to verify, but that is the best of my knowledge at the moment.

Yes you are correct.

From your link above:
To carry a knife designed for offense with a blade over 5 inches you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. There are exceptions, read below to find out what those are.

DISCLAIMER: The following should not be considered legal advice.

The law is very nuanced. The short answer is that the provisions of the newly-revised Georgia Weapons Carry Law (OCGA Title 16, Chapter 11, Article 4, Part 3) now define "weapon," as "a knife or handgun." So a valid weapons carry licensee from Georgia - or from a reciprocal state - may legally carry a concealed knife in this state. I would encourage anyone to read the law for themselves before they act on someone else's advice. You can read the law here:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/Default.asp

Back
Top Bottom