• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about the georgia concealed carry license

nope.gif

If it is being used as the Identification then it has to match. The Carry License is a state issued picture ID and is perfectly legal to use for ID. I normally prefer to use the DL for ID and use the Carry License to exempt them from NICS check. As long as the address on DL matches they are good to go. Some stores have stupid policies that are not required by law. I know of stores where if you make a mistake on a 4473 they require you to come back the next day to try again instead of just giving you a new one. No reason for that. Just store policy.

At TruPrep we also prefer to use a driver’s license with valid address for ID on a 4473 , but will use the Georgia Weapons Carry License instead, if the address is valid.

Had the same question when we moved to Toccoa. My driver's license is up to date, my cwl has old info. Purchased from various LGS around Georgia since with no issues.

I guess it all depends on where you go. I’ve seen other comments saying that the DL and GWCL didn’t match but had no problem. When mine didn’t match I couldn’t use my GWCL to bypass the background check BUT they just ran it like I didn’t have one and everything was fine

I guess it all depends on where you go. I’ve seen other comments saying that the DL and GWCL didn’t match but had no problem. When mine didn’t match I couldn’t use my GWCL to bypass the background check BUT they just ran it like I didn’t have one and everything was fine
Again, that is store policy. Not law. The state says you do not need to renew GWCL just because you moved. It is valid till it expires. Feds say as long as address on DL (or whatever you use for ID) matches the one you put on the 4473 you are GTG.

Again, that is store policy. Not law. The state says you do not need to renew GWCL just because you moved. It is valid till it expires. Feds say as long as address on DL (or whatever you use for ID) matches the one you put on the 4473
Never said it was law. My statement still applies. AGAIN It depends on where you go.

No, I had to school a young fellow at the Academy Sports gun counter in Athens last week. Just so happens that me and another customer had recently moved and had the proper addresses on our Drivers License but old address on the GWLs. He gave me the 4473 iPad sort of thing with my last name and old zip code and I refused to fill it out until he put the proper zip on it.

He ended up calling his manager who told him that I was correct and to change it in the computer, he also had to change the other guy's. Kind of ticked the clerk off but what the hey!
Academy employees are usually retarded at best and the way they treat you by walking you out the door after a gun purchase is weird. That said, I deal with it to get the 5% card discount.

Academy employees are usually retarded at best and the way they treat you by walking you out the door after a gun purchase is weird. That said, I deal with it to get the 5% card discount.
Back in about 1996 I bought a 10-22 from Kmart in Athens and because I bought a box of ammo to go with it, they walked me out the door way back then.

Back
Top Bottom