• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

...he cut me a heavy duty 220 extension cord with double male connectors...

Double male connectors are great BUT be extremely careful in using them. I always unload and disconnect all lines from my generators, and let them idle down, unloaded, for a few minutes before shutting them down completely. It is all too common for us to pull a power cord from a wall outlet and not think about power still being applied and available, as usually that is the case when you remove the cord/plug from the socket. However, depending on how you disconnect a double male cord, one end may still have power and be hot. Just a word of caution to only make or break double male connections with all power removed. Just remember that power may still be on to the exposed male connectors/terminals whereas you normally don't have to worry about grabbing a female connector end with its hidden terminals.

Double male connectors are great BUT be extremely careful in using them. I always unload and disconnect all lines from my generators, and let them idle down, unloaded, for a few minutes before shutting them down completely. It is all too common for us to pull a power cord from a wall outlet and not think about power still being applied and available, as usually that is the case when you remove the cord/plug from the socket. However, depending on how you disconnect a double male cord, one end may still have power and be hot. Just a word of caution to only make or break double male connections with all power removed. Just remember that power may still be on to the exposed male connectors/terminals whereas you normally don't have to worry about grabbing a female connector end with its hidden terminals.
Very true…it takes an excess of caution when dealing with electricity in the best of conditions. “Rigging” the generator takes a sober and safety conscious mind!

Need to be careful to shut off main breaker as well, so you don't feed voltage back, possibly electrocuting a line worker.
This is something I’ve beat into the family’s head in case I’m not home to run it…
73668EDE-D2FD-4ABD-952A-803CA9816E8C.jpeg

I found Westinghouse 9500DF in stock for $1000. This model. Seems to be more fuel efficient than Ford. OOS at HD, but here are the specs.

So it is down to
$1,000 Westinghouse Gas/LPG 12500w/9500w
$2000 HF Inverter Gas only 9500w/7600w
$900 Firman Gas/LPG/NG 9400w/7500w
$900 Generac Gas only 10kW/85kW EFI inverter (?) generator

Is losing Natural gas option out of the box worth to gain extra 2kW? for only $200?
Is low THD worth extra $1000 to lose LPG and 2kW?

I am hoping that if I go with Westinghouse, it will run at half or quarter load most of the time, and THD will stay low.

Thoughts?

That’s why it’s nicknamed suicide cord!

Just buy a quality transfer panel and have an electrician wire it in (if you’re not comfortable doing it yourself).
Isolates your circuits from the grid.

Back
Top Bottom