• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gem collecting,rocks and minerals geology

brad sweet

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
146   0
Reaction score
I have been an avid amateur Geologist since i was able to walk and have and still have a good collection of gems and minerals from around the country..I live in an area rich with garnets gold and staurolite. What do you have around you and do you trade or hike to find them..???

IMG_3237.JPG

I found a gold pyrite about that size when I was about 14 years old. I thought I had a few ounces of gold and was so excited. That excitement ended when my dad told me a few hours after I showed him. He didn't want to disappoint me immediately.

I found a gold pyrite about that size when I was about 14 years old. I thought I had a few ounces of gold and was so excited. That excitement ended when my dad told me a few hours after I showed him. He didn't want to disappoint me immediately.
Are you sure it was pyrite? Did Dad come home with any new toys later that week?
New Car, Boat etc.... JK

Interesting. We have a house on the Ellijay River, near Briar Creek. I walk out my front door, into the river, and I get handfuls of Staurolites every time I go out. If I really classify I get Garnets too. Never found a speck of gold and sold my sluice setup last year. Briar Creek is loaded with Staurolites too. Where are you located?

I have a chunk of pyrite about twice the size of a softball. Fooled many a friend telling them I found it in a creek up by Dahlonaga when I was trout fishing...

Interesting. We have a house on the Ellijay River, near Briar Creek. I walk out my front door, into the river, and I get handfuls of Staurolites every time I go out. If I really classify I get Garnets too. Never found a speck of gold and sold my sluice setup last year. Briar Creek is loaded with Staurolites too. Where are you located?
Ball ground..

always wanted to try looking but I wouldn't know where to start, besides I'm down in the flatlands now anyway.
sometimes you just kick one up..as i did...start looking down....in an area with a quartz vien or creekbed area with bedrock exposed and in the cracks and crevices in the bed rock

Back
Top Bottom