G19 or G23

I prefer debated the 26/27. I didnt like the snap of the 27 so I went 26. When it came time for a compact the 19 was a no brainer since I already had the 26. I couldnt be happier.

I have the 23 with the 9mm conversion bbl. I don't think you'll go wrong with either the 19 or the 23. But with the 19, you're stuck with 9mm only.

Details please. Is it Glock or aftermarket? I was under the impression that there was something about the design that didn't allow interchangeability. I might just buy a 23 if it's reasonable/easy. Maybe a 23c with a standard 9mm barrel.

Details please. Is it Glock or aftermarket? I was under the impression that there was something about the design that didn't allow interchangeability. I might just buy a 23 if it's reasonable/easy. Maybe a 23c with a standard 9mm barrel.

It's so easy, even I could do it! LOL

All you need is a conversion barrel and the G19 mags. I bought the barrel from Lone Wolf Distributors. It is the same size as the .40 bbl and has the same dimensions, etc. Only thing different is the bore is for 9mm. You pull your .40bbl, replace with the conversion barrel, use G19 mags, and that's it. You have a G23/19 combo.

It's so easy, even I could do it! LOL

All you need is a conversion barrel and the G19 mags. I bought the barrel from Lone Wolf Distributors. It is the same size as the .40 bbl and has the same dimensions, etc. Only thing different is the bore is for 9mm. You pull your .40bbl, replace with the conversion barrel, use G19 mags, and that's it. You have a G23/19 combo.

X2 - Also have the LW .40 S&W interchangable barrel for inexpensive Cast Bullet shooting!

As an aside, I don't see a lot of difference in the recoil of 9mm vs .40 S&W - But there is a LOT of difference in the energy delivered down range.
I subscribe to the same logic that gave birth to the 1911 .45 - A big, slow projectile has much greater stopping power than a smaller, faster one.
This is a "Battle Proven" concept born of the Phillipeans campaign at the turn of the 20th Century (probably mis-spelled - spell-check would be nice)
Also imortalized with the Marines song of that era that had the refrain: "D..n, D..n, D..n, the Phillipeno, nothing will stop him but a Krag ..."
Empting a standard issue .38 Special revolver nto a drug-crazed insurgent didn't stop him from hacking you to pieces, but a Colt .45 stoped them with one shot!

Bullet technology has come a long way since the turn of the century.

When the .40 was introduced it really only offered a slight edge over the 9mm. The real advantage the .40 had over the 9mm was effective marketing since the 9mm was still getting ripped apart by the FBI for their own failures. Even though the 9mm round IMO did pretty much what it was supposed to do. A bullet is only effective if you hit what you are aiming at.

Fast forward to now and still .40 only has a small edge over 9mm. The difference now is the, "the 9mm is a weak, ineffective round" marketing hype has died down. What you are left with is facts. The 9mm as a defensive round with modern bullet technology like bonded bullets, a better understanding of expansion and pressures is very effective. Rounds like the Winchester Ranger 9mm 127gr +P+, Federal Tactical HST 9mm 124gr +P, Federal Tactical HST 9mm 135gr +P and the Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +P are all rounds with a very solid reputation. It's .40 counterpart do offer a slight bump in some cases in terms of penetration and in wound profile but this difference IMO is not great enough to justify the sharper felt recoil and slightly lower capacity. The Glock 19 is a fine pistol. IMO the best Glock makes. You can't convert it to shoot other calibers but it will do everything else you ask it to do. Everyone should have a Glock 19 in their collection.

Back
Top Bottom