G19 or G23

byersjay25

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
Really going back and fourth on this, christmas present for myself. I really like the g19 have have shot a few of them not much experience with the g23. I would like a nice range gun and would like to do some bowling pin comps and mybe some tactical match stuff as well as home deffence. I do want the rail for a light or laser combo. otherwise I would get a 26 or 27. What are your guys thoughts though? I know ammo will run me a litte more in the 40 but I dont want that to be my deciding factor. If I get a 19 I will prob get a Gen 3. If i do a 23 prob Gen 4.

Thanks

Jason

Last edited:
The 23 is nice because you could get a 9mm barrel, or a 357sig barrel and have the best of a few worlds. The 19, which I have and love, is always going to be a 9mm. I find more than enough power out of the 9mm, plus I have a few 33rd mags :)

I had your same dilemma once. I got the g23 and thought about buying a conversion barrel for 9mm. Went to range and did not like it. Also figured no point to get barrel so sold it and got the g19. Very happy now! Decided to standardize on 9mm & 223.

I vote for the G19.. I carry a Gen4 and shoot it a lot.. But.. I prefer the Gen3 trigger to be honest.. I suppose the best of both worlds would be a 19 RTF.. I'm on the hunt for one myself.. Thats what I would go with if you considered a Gen4 23.. I know you said you don't want to base your decision on ammo cost only but if you are going to shoot it a lot why not save some $$ then buy a 23 later.. LOL.. Multiple gun purchases is my answer for everything.. haha.. Good luck to you.. Either way you will be g2g..

G19 I have one and love it to death. Takes a beating and has never had issues. Great gun. 9mm is cheaper than 40 last time I checked. Go for the 19!

KaboomStick, have you had any issues with your gen 4 19. That is the main reason I was trying to stay clear of them and I have always liked the gen 3 glocks. You hit the nail on the head though, multiple gun purchases will prob be my anwer.

The .40 as stated does snap a bit more. Both with good ammo are good choices for self defense but as the FBI noted the numbers reflect that in use the .40 S&W is bit more effective than 9mm as .45 ACP is a bit more effective than .40 S&W. None are 100% effective.

Many shooters will be able to shoot the 9mm more accurately due to reduced recoil and actually be more effective with it. I would recommend you rent both or borrow both and run a box or two through them before allowing someone else to decide which gun is right for you. If you shoot both the same all else being equal then go with the larger bullet launcher if the cost of ammo is not a concern.

I traded my G19 Gen 4 but still have a G23 Gen 2 if you want to shoot it. I plan on getting a G19 (Gen 3) again but have a few other things on my list first.

KaboomStick, have you had any issues with your gen 4 19. That is the main reason I was trying to stay clear of them and I have always liked the gen 3 glocks. You hit the nail on the head though, multiple gun purchases will prob be my anwer.

Neg.. I have not had any issues with it.. Not a single FTF/FTE using 19 & 17 mags.. I wouldn't sweat it.. If you did have any issues and you live in Marietta Glock is about 15 mins from you and can get you squared.. I wouldn't worry about the Gen4 19's reliability..

2 G27's in the family. The wife has zero problem with the 40S&W, but I have hers set up with 9MM barrel/mags for capacity. I HATE rails on a pistol. But then, I CC and all the lights and lasers are just space eaters to me.

When it comes down to it, as long as you go Glock, you win.

Back
Top Bottom